new to detecting..have a few questions

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are cheap detectors at Radio Shack and some of the big box stores, but these are sorry products. It's best to get one of the entry level detectors from Tesoro, Whites, Garrett or Minelab. Expect to pay about $200.00 for a fair one with the better detectors costing more.

Contact Tony at http://tcmetaldetectors.com

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
Go name brand. They all have quality entry level detectors. Don't forget to include $ for headphones, diggers, pouches etc.

OP
OP
mike63

mike63

Jan 1, 2008
se florida
thank you for all your answers anything in particular i should look for or any features i really dont need right off the bat?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suggest you take a good look at either the Tesoro Compadre or the Tesoro Silver. Both are simple, but decent machines for the money. The Silver has the advantage over the Compadre as it is compatible with a complete selection of different coils while the Compadre is hardwired to one. Both are light and a joy to swing and they only use 1 9volt battery. Neither machine has a target id screen as they're basically "beep and dig" machines. Many detectorists, myself included, feel that it's best to start out and learn without the target ID because the variations in the sound response to different targets is worth learning and is an important part of the detection process even with a Target ID screen. Also, these machines while they don't have all the bells and whistles of more expensive machines, generally get nearly as much depth and serve very well as a backup or loaner should you decide to move up in the future. My two bits.
Bill

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Mike, I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and I am very pleased with it. At Super Wal-Marts they are 20% off in my area. You really don't have to go out and buy a ton of gear to get started. The most I bought was a $10 3' shovel, and a hand trowel at Lowes that cost under ten bucks, and a nail apron. My husband gave me a long screwdriver out of the tools he owns. That is all I need for the moment.

Good luck.

Pepper

Johnny Ringo Silver

Dec 6, 2007
KANSAS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE and Sunray probe
mike63 said:
thank you for all your answers anything in particular i should look for or any features i really dont need right off the bat?
Mike, your pretty much gonna get what you pay for. I will say that For an entry level detector, I have heard wonderful things on the garret ace 250. There are quite a few new guys with this machine and they have found some real good finds!! 8) 8)

OP
OP
mike63

mike63

Jan 1, 2008
se florida
thanks to all i think i am leaning towards one of the whites detectors only because i think with the screen it might keep my stepsons interest going for a little while rather than seeing a needle bounce! i'll keep you all posted when i get one again thanks for all your help......mike!

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the fisher f-2, and garret ace 250 both have screens,and can use smaller coils, whites prizms do not have smaller coils available, the fisher comes with a 8" and 4"

R

robert roy

Ace 250 hands down. The runner up is the F2.
But I'd go with the Ace 250 if I were you.
Robert R

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
I have to disagree with Rob Roy. Here is a post I just made on another topic. Buy a Tesoro and don't look back.

I have an Ace 250. Compared to the Tesoro Silver uMax I just bought, the Ace is a toy while the Silver is a tool. The Silver uMax is 10x the detector either the Ace or the F2 is. I don't have an F2 but it is getting pretty poor reviews from folks on here that I trust.

With the Silver, it 'sings' to you when you should dig. Plus, I don't like having to walk around looking at a screen. With the Silver, you just listen until it tells you to dig.

If you're coin hunting and turn the discrimination up, there is no doubt when you hit a coin. I found 3 pennies about 2" apart the other day, and I knew it was three coins before I started digging. The Ace would have only given one signal. Plus, I hate the 'ding' tone of the Ace. The Silver sounds like a cool drum circle with the choppy signals as you move thru trash but man, when you hit something good, it's like the Silver gets excited - perfectly obvious sound. It sings out, leaving no doubt where to dig.

I'm covering ground probably 10 times faster with the Silver than with the Ace and have much more confidence that I'm not leaving things of interest behind. Plus, it's just more fun.

I dug a dime at over 8" with the Silver this past weekend. The Ace never would have found it.

Oh, and the Ace is piss-poor at pinpointing compared to the Silver. I'm digging smaller holes and often just popping items instead of having to dig a plug.

Anybody want to buy an Ace? I was keeping it around for friends but I think I'll sell it and buy another Silver. Then I can run a couple of different coils when I'm out alone.

OP
OP
mike63

mike63

Jan 1, 2008
se florida
wow this is giving me more ideas like i said before i wanted something easy to use and very user friendly thanks for even more advice!! you guy's rock ...lol

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum
Check out the Quantum II on Ebay. I bought 2 all for around $200 each. I bought my first in 1999 at a coin shop for $425. I bought the others for a spare and for my father in-law. They are awesome and very easy to learn.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
i agree the quantums are nice, looking for Qxt pro my self, had 2 in the past, havent tried the q-II, pretty much the same. ive been watching for one, havent seen much available lately.

daaaveman

Nov 13, 2007
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax - IT ROCKS!
Tesoro. I don't know why anyone swings anything else.......atleast until they're ready for a Soverign GT. Tesoro Silver uMax rocks. Look at the Tesoro threads.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACE 250, check my post and vids on youtube!

Crackbadger

R

robert roy

Really, there isn't much bad to say about Bounty Hunter. It's gotten a bad rap by way of association with WalMart and Radio Shack. And they do look a little tacky, but thats just my opinion judging from the one's I've seen.

I recently saw some at WalMart this christmas, and for the price they were asking, you'd be better served with the Ace 250.

It comes down to how much you want to spend. There are many servicable detectors out there.

STILL if your going to spend the kind of money BH wants for a detector you'd be better off with the
Ace 250. That machine won't let you down and you seldom if ever hear a bad report, unlike the Fisher F2 thats just come out.

Regards
Robert R ;D

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
mike63,

If I can give you a hand let me know. I sell Tesoro but I'll help you with any questions you may have on other brands also. PM me if you like. Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread