New to detecting. Help with how to clean my first old coin.

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Friends. Fairly new to metal detecting(2 months) and found this today. My first old coin. How do I clean it? VZM.IMG_20161105_162621.jpg

Upvote 11

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't really do much about the thick green patina on old coppers without losing detail. If you try to return it to a copper color you will ruin it, better to leave it be. Your find is in pretty nice condition the way it is, enjoy it for what it is. I just use a soft toothbrush with some soapy water to remove the dirt and leave the green stuff alone.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. If I can get an id and better yet a date on an old copper then I consider it a sucess. Yours looks great to me

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
I don't have a link but I remember watching a great video by a guy called Aquachigger about what to do with old coins. Maybe Google it. Basically, use a tooth pick and oil from your face to raise details but the video was good because he purposely messed up a couple using soap and water etc to contrast the different things you could do.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice job on the 2-cent piece. IMHO, I would leave it alone and be proud of that beautiful coin.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice 2C :icon_thumright: practice cleaning toasted wheats with baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, electrolysis, olive oil, and other methods. some work better than others, and results vary on how bad a copper is. surface pitting will always be under the green verdigris--what is acceptable is always a judgement call. I have gotten dates & details off heavily crusted copper blobs of green.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice 2 Cent piece - Great way to get started with detecting! :icon_thumright:
Good advice given so far. You can't go wrong with doing nothing and you can't undo a bad cleaning job.
Welcome to TreasureNet! :hello:

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks guys. Guess I'll leave it be :-)

$stinger

Nov 4, 2016
PA
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've got 2 that are in the same condition. I wouldn't try anything but water. Nice find!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just use water on mine to clean them, then soak them in olive oil for a week. It will not get the green crusty off but it does bring out detail and a sheen to the parts of the coin that are not crusty. I also use this method with Indian Heads, Large Cents, and copper tokens. It works well for me.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! I'm inclined to agree with the advice given- mine get an olive oil bath and that's it- too much cleaning and the detail's gone- you can't undo gone! GL!

-- Jeff --

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find!!
She looks Great just how she is, I wouldn't touch it. Some times a little cleaning helps, other times it destroys your coin.

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just want a date vinegar will take off the green but uglys the coin on the right Is a possible end result of a toothbrush and soap (I still use soap and toothbrush but with great care I can't live without getting a date of a coin ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478444191.778079.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1478444205.961151.jpg it did help me date the foundation but destroyed both Indians

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my fellow Mainer. I would use a bit of nose grease to wipe across the face. It will highlight the details for a great pic. Nothing wrong with that condition at al. Congrats

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello my fellow Mainer. I would use a bit of nose grease to wipe across the face. It will highlight the details for a great pic. Nothing wrong with that condition at al. Congrats

That's exactly what I was going to say. I do that all the time on coins and relics like buttons. Works wonders and doesn't cause irreversible damage.

OP
OP
U

Usaflaginmaine

Aug 8, 2016
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Makro Gold Racer
Falcon MD20
Dahlke 2.5"
Bazooka Sniper
Angus Mackirk Outback
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Plenty of nose grease starting this time of year.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a head mounted magnifier that I use in the winter (when the grounds frozen) along with some tooth picks and I simply pick out the dirt from the crevasses on the coins I dug that year.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most coins lose value due to environmental damage you could see what the coins value is and then determine if you want to shine it up ect!!!!Great display case coin either way!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread