New to Detecting...New to the Site

WellsCreek

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
There always has to be a new guy in the crowd..gues that's me today.
As my post says I'm new to detecting, I purchased my first ddetector this weekend; Garrett Ace 250.
So far so good! I would really appreciate any solid advice regarding techniques, places to hunt and/or any information that allow me stay this interested. I also appreciate any advice to keep me from picking up any bad habits.
I bought a house last year (Ohio) that dates back to the late 1880's and this 2800 sq. ft. 2-story house used to be a tavern/saloon and a brothel. The yard is about .40 acres and I'm convinces there is some history in the ground! I live very close to an old Indian settlement and Historic site. I have found some clad but nothing of any real interest or value.
Any advise, questions or directions is appreciated!
- Thanks..

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome :hello:

If I were you, I would research ploughed farmland which once housed old buildings. Simple :wink: :read2:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
For some people it takes alot of time digging before they find something valuable, others seem to get the good stuff from the start. I hope you are the latter, you're in a great spot to start, an old house with history, you know something great has to be in your yard. I'd check out the area around the house too. GL and HH

bgriffin

Jan 2, 2011
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350
Welcome to the site, you will have a ball with the Ace.

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Welcome to TNET! :hello: You found a great bunch of people here that will teach you a lot, and keep on teaching you a lot as you go on. The BEST place to always start is your own yard, and it sounds like you have a GREAT yard with juicy stuff! Bad habit? Giving up. Just keep on plugging. You can have days on end of nothing but clad change, but you know what? EVERYTIME my machine goes off with a signal, and everyone on here will tell ya, it's a rush, it's a fix, lol that keeps our clean habit going! Looking forward to hear from you again.....Please keep us informed on your finds... :icon_thumleft:

mile-ender

Jun 29, 2009
Lower Canada
Detector(s) used
BountyHunter fast tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might wanna check out the glass and bottles section as well. Old trash pits and outhouses can yield all sorts of treasures as well :icon_thumleft:

Bullitt

Greenie
Dec 24, 2010
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
whites mxt300
wish I had 40 acres to hunt, good luck and don't get discouraged. Dig it all. Wish Ohio wasn't so far from east Tenn.

OP
OP
W

WellsCreek

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for everyone's help and welcome's!!!
BULLITT--im from East KY originally and we have a familly farm about 110 acres that has had a detector on it..real excited to go back home soon with my Ace. What cool finds have you came across in East Tenn? More or less the area, landscape and terrain.

jimmatt_43

Feb 2, 2007
Hi W.C.
By the time you burn up your first set of batterries,you will have a good idea of what you are doing.Get the coil on the soil and don't spend too much time trying to learn it all at once.
Jim

GeorgiaSwinger

May 28, 2010
Georgia coast
Detector(s) used
minelab Sov. GT, minelab Excal II, Fisher CZ21, minelab Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Pull up a chair and have a seat your in for one hellva ride ~ dig it ? LOL

xasp61

Apr 27, 2010
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
V3, XLT, F75, MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:
Dig every target until you understand what the ACE is telling you. You might want to test its response to different targets too. Like, pulltabs, foil, nails, twist caps. you get the idea. :thumbsup:

Xasp61/Jon

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
place a few coins on the ground and see how fast or slow you need to swing the machine
then put some card board over the coins swing the coil over try your luck at getting the coil "pin pointed"
when you think you have found the exact spot the coin is under take a pin and push it throught the card board
if you hit the coin then you got it if not try it again
pratice digging holes and recovering them see if you can do it so 5 mins later you cant find the hole

last but not lest pratice your "i found silver or gold dance"
your gonna need it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread