new to finding artifacts..

tat2dfreeky1

Dec 18, 2017
grant county, IN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to this and am wondering how to find areas to hunt. I went with a guy I used to work with a few times and found some arrowheads, but have lost touch with him. I know the areas he told me that he hunts, but I definately don't want to intrude on his properties. I am from grant county, IN. I also know of a few places I would like to look, but state law put a stop to that(government ground). So, how do I find other areas that may have had some kind of settlement or anything of that kind? I've read about everything I can find on the net about Indians around grant county, but the only real info I can find is about them on the land that is now government owned. Or if anyone around me just wants a partner for a day or something, please let me know. I WILL NOT GO BACK TO YOUR SPOTS! Just mainly looking for somewhere to hunt so i can take my daughter with me.

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not from anywhere close to you but around here pretty much any land close to the main rivers and tributary streams/ rivers are good places to check. I know that’s easier said than done especially since most of that property is expensive privately owned land but sometimes farmers will let you look just be mindful that hunting season is going on

justonemore

Oct 31, 2011
Indiana
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Grant county looks to have the potential to have lots of good sites to hunt. You'll just have to get out there and knock on some doors to get permission. Here is a link to Grant counties map with a satellite view. Zoom into a likely area then a property and it will tell you who owns it. I use the ones for my area often along with plat books, come in real handy. Good luck.

https://grantin.elevatemaps.io/#ext...27,1973896.9053843578,1865129.5442732468,2244

Grant county web site: http://www.grantcounty.net/

You might have to log in but it's not to difficult.

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your daughter with you and drive out into the country and looked for plowed areas near creeks or rivers that have high ridges above the flood plain and stop at the farm and ask for permission to walk it. Having your daughter with you should help you obtain permission or at the very least keep them from cussing you to get off the property. I have had experiences with both unfortunately.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread