New to GTI 2500 and Need Help

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Hello all. I am a new and proud owner of a GTI 2500 and loving it despite my concerns. It is currently day 3 of tinkering with settings and breaking her in and I find it having false signals a lot. My coil cable is tight but not straining, inserted correctly, fresh batteries etc...any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated as my excitement is ebbing some now. I should mention I moved up from the Ace 350 so I'm used to the DD coil, but that shouldn't be the issue.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did it come with two coils? Have you tried the 2nd coil to see if you have the same result? Have you tried it in different areas to rule out emi sources?

OP
OP
amzster08

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Yea I put the 13.2 coil on and am trying it out tomorrow in a new place. Heres hoping...

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would only make one change at a time. Either switch coils and try in the same area you are having problems are switch areas and keep the same coils on. If you do both and get a positive result, you really won't know which change made the difference.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try lowering the sensitivity a bit that usually helps.
My 2500 is not sensitive to coil wraps.
I like the larger imaging coil, it is a concentric coil so pinpointing is easy. Any coil that has imaging will be concentric.
I have found deep coins with the 12 inch imaging much deeper than with a large coil on my AT Pro. I was planning to get a small coil for the GTI 2500, but instead I bought the sniper coil for the AT Pro. When I get into tight trashy area the AT Pro with the sniper coil is the way for me to go. I would guess a sniper (smallest coil) for the GTI 2500 would be even better.

hope this helps

Roy

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a GTI-2500 for about 5 years. My experience with the 12 inch coil has been other than good. Part of the issue is the local soil conditions. By the time you turn down the sensitivity to the point the 12 inch will work, anything much deeper than 3 inches doesn't get detected. It was so bad when I first got it, I sent it back to Garrett to make sure it was working. They replaced the 12 inch coil, but the new one wasn't any better. Since that time (about 5 years as I said) I've stuck with the 9 inch one with very good results.

When I'm hunting kiddy lots, or a carnival sites, I use the Zero Discrimination setting, with the sensitivity set at about 8.5 which is somewhat higher than the factory reset setting (≈7.5).

I have recently obtained permission from the land owner to hunt a 25 acre plot which at one time had 5 houses situated on it. They're long since gone, and the site has been verboten for nearly 25 years. I've been using the all-metal mode, with the auto balance set on its highest setting. To date, the deepest find was a 3 inch long cinch pin that was ≈18 inches deep. The deepest coin (a very fine grade 1920S wheat) was down ≈9 inches deep.

Everybody has their pet detector, but the 2500 has been the best one I have owned overall. The only drawback is its weight, but I do use a bungie cord and strap which places the weight on my shoulder.

Have fun, and fine your riches!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread