New to hobby,I got Questions,You got answers.

J

jimg

Hello all
I'm really new at this and trying to learn.I have a Radio Shack Discovery 2000 that i bought from a estate sale 3 or 4 weeks ago. It was new with manual.Is it really like the Quick Draw? it has no depth read out. I spent most of last week trying to learn how to use it and yesterday went to an old farm that is over 150 years old. A new home has been built where the old home stood,so i went out about 30 to 40 feet and found nothing but junk. but i only had 2 hours to look and being new i was digging everything. so now to get to my questions
1) Is this detector worth using at all ? I really think I'm going to love the hobby, Ive always wanted a detector but other things always have had to come first.So is it worth trying to learn on this machine or will it just mess me up when i do get a top of the line detector? Is it really like the Quick Draw?
2) I know that around Christmas I'll be buying my first NEW detector. I'm 99% sure ill buy from Kellyco.And i think i want a Whites. I know i want depth readout,target I.D., I want to coin/jewelry/relic hunt with it.And something easy to use. So if you had around $500-600 dollars to spend and knowing what you know now, what brand and model would you buy.
3)Is there anyone here that is from southeast Ohio? I would like to talk with some one from here about what there finding and where. I live in Meigs county (100 miles southeast of Columbus) along the Ohio River.bakergeol told me some about when he used to live here several years ago and did give me some pointers and i thank him for it.
3) what is the best way to dig and what is the best tools to use? Most of my digging will be in yards.
I really like the forum and have learned a lot from you all in just a few days by reading. i thank you for your time and please help a new guy. Jim

Upvote 0

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Welcome Jim. I promise you that you will get totally addicted and love the hobby. First of all, I would not recommend getting a top of the line for your first detector. I have only been detecting two years. I have a Whites classic ID without the depth readout and I absolutely love it. The depth readout would be nice, but I have not found it to be necessary. I have seen quite a few people start out and buy the top of the line and get dissapointed because there are too many options and things to learn. Start fairly basic, but with a reliable machine. Whites now has a new detector which has taken over the classic line. There is one with a depth readout. It is very light and would probably be a good choice. I would recommend that you sign up for a subscription to Western and Eastern Treasures and buy some of the back issues also.
Don't get discouraged at first. It will take you a few months of going out regularly before you start finding the good stuff. You will just have to go through this period to start understanding your machine and how to use it. Believe me, it will happen. If you expect to find stuff right away, you will get very dissapointed and quit. Have faith that it will happen and it will.
As far as tools I would recomend a real good cutting and digging tool with sharp edge on one side and saw blade on the other. Several companies make one like this. I would also recommend a strong digging shovel with that for when you have to dig deeper. You will also need some kind of a pouch to hold your tools in a spaces for the good stuff and bad stuff.
Get yourself some 35 mm film cannisters and put a few cotten balls in them to put your good finds when you find them. This way they won't get scratched or damaged with your other things.
Practice in your own yard by getting some coins and putting them in baggies and burry them at different depths. Practice in this area until you know what they sound like on your detector. Make sure you buy a good head set with individual volumn control. This is a real must to be able to here those good deep signals.
Have a great time, you will really enjoy it. Feel free to contact me via email with any questions you may have.......Lance

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hi Jim

First off- How do you gain knowledge about specific detectors? Well you visit brand specific metal detecting forums such as the Whites forum, Explorer forum, CZ forum etc. If necessary do a search and review all the comments about the detector you are looking for. There is a wealth of knowledge out there from users who are only happy to help newbies with their brand detector.

Second there is no best detector. There are a lot of fine detectors out there from Whites, Tesoro, Minelab, Fisher,Garrett, and Troy Shadow.Just find one thats works best for you. There is an advantage to trying out detectors with dealers. It will be more expensive but but you will get answers to your questions and help when you need it and can physically try out a detector.

The problem in our hobby is that most people do not have the patience or the mental attitude for the long term. They see the glorious finds on the ads and believe it is easy. It is not. When they realize they are not going to find gold rings and walking halves everytime they go out as in that metal detecting commerical and instead find a lot of trash they become discouraged. They then sell their detectors or it is left in the closet.

The decision on what level you want to enter low end, intermediate or high end really depends on you. High end models such as the Explorer 11 have a very long learning curve of months and I would recommend it only for previous serious users. A lot of folks just want a turn it on and go model and their approach is casual and not serious. They do not want? to spend a lot of money and do not desire a machine with a very long learning curve. For folks like that I agree with Lance a detector like a Whites classic ID or their new Prizm IV would be a good choice.

However, once you become serious you will move up the ladder. You will want a detector with greater depth and you want better discrimination abilities so you buy a more expensive model.?There are a lot of bargains out there with used detectors(no warranty but good prices-classifieds on metal detecting forums or E-bay) so your high price range will be close to most high end used detectors(Well not used Explorer 11). Yes the difference in depth between low end and high end detectors is significant. Folks who say depth is not important have not been around the block as many times as I have.? Metal ID abilities particularly with depth is just as important. The price you have to pay for this is that you have to take the time to learn your machine and I mean really learn your machine. You will be posting questions on your brand specific forum site about problems or conditions. You have to do some learning here. It is now not a turn it on and go operation.

I presently own Whites, Minelab and Troy Shadow machines but if I was going to buy a high end machine today for older, deeper coins it would be the new Fisher CZ-3D($750). Just my personal opinion.

40 years and still swinging
George

OP
OP
J

jimg

Gentlemen,
thanks for your reply and the info.Would like to hear from others as well. being new i need all the help & info i can get.
thanks. Jim

X

X5er

Hi Jim, i can not comment as to Radioshack and BH being comparible, ive never tried ethier of them. the one thing i will advise is to research diffrent brands and make your decisition on the one thats going to be the most practical,comfortable and effective for "YOU". dont buy a machine just because it has bells and whistles and talks back to you. read magizines and field test, talk to people,join a club and please check out your your local dealer as well. hope this will help ya ;) Let Freedom Reign and HH!!

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Hi Jim, It may just be me ,but regardless of the detector I seem to never stop learning, I think it depends on target,depth how its turned,ground conitions,and on and on and on :-\.Just when i think i have it,Well i dont.Makes me wonder abought all the ones i did not dig.Except pull tabs.

boomer

Jul 8, 2003
kentucky
Detector(s) used
army all terrain
this will help, see below. always start small and work up as you gain experance. the 2000 is a good training tool. if you have a 150 year old area, you have to dig every signal, because some junk may be a 150 year old gold mine. relics of the past have a high resell value. if your not sure of what you found, save it and check that piece of junk later, you never know. try the two sites below and read all you can about the subject.

this will help on type
Reviews and Ratings For Popular Metal Detectors
Read honest reviews by real people. Find out what metal detector everyone uses and why. ... Welcome to Metal Detector Reviews. Metal Detecting is an excellent hobby and past time for the whole family ... Contact us at [email protected]. 2004 ? Metal Detector Reviews ...
www.metaldetectorreviews.net

this will help on field work
getting more depth from your metal
Getting More Depth From Your Metal Detector. By Dan Hughes, Associate Editor, Treasure Quest. Reprinted from TREASURE QUEST magazine, Summer 1993. Revised by the author, Summer 1998. It never fails. ... older coins your treasure hunting buddies are passing right ...
www.soltec.net/~dan/tqdepth.htm

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi JimG, It does not matter what machine you have as long as it operates well, learn what you have, all those bells a whistles are just to sell machines as far as I am concerned. a machine with a depth read out and target id is OK but I dig mostly everything anyway so a dial and gauge are just unneeded distractions and battery eaters, besides I do so night hunting and I don't want those dials blinding me. Practice is the key by learning what YOUR machine does,
I have a friend that is totally deaf that is a nugget hunter and uses an old GoldBug and he can whip the socks of of 90% of the guys outthere with all there fancy machines, he has practiced with that old Goldbug for 1000s of hours and is not distracted by dials, it has a vibrator system plugged in.
Research your available area in old newspapers, talk to oldtimers, find out where the circus was held 50 years ago, where were the old gathering places etc. Never pass up a very big old tree without searching under it if possible. My opinions.
Good Luck
Desertdigger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread