New to MDimg and Need Advice

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other
New to MD'img and Need Advice

I've was out again today and I've been looking at old decaying home sites. I'm coming up with alot of trash and false readings on my whites XLT300. Is there a particular place on an old home site to start hunting? In the buildings or outside? I came up with one thing today. I beleive its an old gas cap for a motor on an old peice of farm equipment. Any advice would be appreciated and happy hunting.

Jay

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New to MD'img and Need Advice

dig the outside 1st ...& go real slow.....The relics are there just be patient!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other

There is no such thing as a false reading, all things considered. Don't read the readings. Learn the audio. In old home sites, if you are cherry picking, jack the scrim thru the roof and drop the sense to China, there's a ton of iron in there. If you are relic hunting, dig everything, of course. This will negate any worry about false readings. In old home sites, just dig everything and start an iron pile. Dig out all the iron, and before you know it, the the good stuff emerges. This is not easy, and takes time. Sometimes, it pays off.

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other

On old home sites, try these spots:

Under the porch, around foundation, the path from house to outbuildings like barn or outhouse, cellar, look for what might have been a garden (momma might have buried some jars of coins out there), around any big trees for a cache, or for coins falling out of pockets when on swings from tree limbs, driveway or path to road, large open areas of the yard where they would have outdoor family dinners on Sunday. JUst look at the place, close your eyes and imagine being there during the time, and where people would be and kids would play.

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great advice gleaner & pirate...You guys have pointed out that there are so many possibilities!

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks guys its been enlightining so far. Also my kids arent going next time. I'll be armed with a camera to next time. I could see alot of iron in the area but its very overgrown. Im going to go back again next sunday morning and see what I can find. This farm has a house, barn and spring house. Would outside the house be the best place to start or start with the barn???

HH Jay

The Silver Pirate

Nov 27, 2011
Ridgeland, MS
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX, DFX, XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Tesoro DeLeon, Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Other

Doesn't really matter if you plan to cover it all. Also good, is to share the place with another MD'ing friend. The two of you could really cover the place, and could find stuff the other missed too.

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Pirate....Kayden since you jumped in on this post would you like to join me???? I see your from Pa...what part of the state are you in???

HH Jay

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR

Jay, country folk use to live on the front porch unlike present day back yard people, so if you can figure the front, search it first. Try walkways between buildings carried the bulk of the traffic thus best chance for drop recovery.
Metal detectors don't know what is down there. They know how much power they put out and how much returns. From this the internal computer guesses at what is down there. If they can ID a quarter every time, you have a good program. Frank

OP
OP
T

tat2guy

Oct 29, 2011
Chester County pa
Primary Interest:
Other

Thanks Frankn.....I found the walkway off the porch to the driveway so I'll check there. This is the second spot I showed you when you were up. But I was unsure where to park. I now have permission to park over there. I'll get some pics up next week. Cant go over there because of hunting during the week.

HH Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread