New to metal decting what brand and model is the best to start with

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's a "reasonable price?" $200? $1,000?

Tee1up

Sep 9, 2012
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First Detector...

I am brand new to metal detectors but after some research here and on youtube I settled on the Tesoro Outlaw. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

I wanted something I could grow into and this machine (with three coils) didn't break the bank but does offer a lot of serious features. For me, it came down to a choice between this unit and the Vaquero. I would suggest you take the same path. Set a limit on what you want to spend, watch the videos, read the field guides, get a feel for the type of detecting you want to do and then go for it. Be careful with department store and sporting goods store brands as they always over promise.

My only problem to date is I should have bought a pin-pointer and a better digging tool right away. The first time you dig up a cool relic or an old coin, all bets are off and you may be seriously hooked. Right now I am covering a hill area that is used in the winter by sleds and tobogans and not at all in the summer, but decades ago sat outside the city and supported a small hospital for Small Pox victims. I feel like I am walking around with a time machine. I'm not racking up the dollars but it is fascinating.

If you do go for it, just remember to read up on responsibilities and always leave an area like you found it.

Let us know which direction you took!:thumbsup:

Im new to metal detecting and was wondering what the best model and brand would be for a rookie like myself for a reasonable price ???

OP
OP
C

Chevelle4ever

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2012
Wow thank you for such a good response and good advise my neighbor has had the same detector for like 30 years now and looking at the keys and locks rings and books and books of coins he has found and lead soldiers I was hooked and the stories behind each find is even better

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There is no brand and/or model that is best to start with. End of story. That's it. That's the last drop. It's tapped out. Nothing to write home about. Nothing new here. It's common sense. You cannot argue with that fact. That's the long and short of it. That's the bottom line. That's cut in stone. That's bible. You can take that to the bank. It's common knowledge. It's as simple as it gets. You can bet your life on it. It's the general consensus. You can bet your bottom dollar on that one. It's the whole kit and kaboodle. That's all she wrote. It's as plain as day. It's crystal clear.

Another thing to think about is that you cannot actually do tectin until you get one and go tectin. So you better get busy before there aint nothin left to find.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So many times new people always ask what is the best detector to start with. Everybody with different machine will always respond to start with the ones they hunt with. This is so confusing for beginners as there are so many machines on the market today that will work for beginners. You have narrowed it down by wanting something $400 or less. But what type of hunting are you going to be doing? Are you mainly hunting for coins, relics, jewelry or combination of them all? Are you hunting on the beach (many machines will not work on the beach very well). Do you want something with a display and tone ID or a beep and dig machine. I would look at machines from Whites, Minelab, Garrett, Tesoro etc. that is in your price range and see what is best for you. Talk to dealers of those machines. I know a lot of people have started out with the Ace 250 but for $400 you can get a better machine. But the best advise no matter what you get is to learn your machine. Your neighbor has a 30 year old machine and it sounds like he has mastered it. Technology has come a long way since then but he has learned what his machine is telling him. That takes time. Good luck and let us know what you get and post your finds.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a newbie myself and I can you what I've did... I picked up a cheap and by cheap I mean low cost / low quality metal detector from Harbor Freight for less than $40 with a coupon. I never MDed before... didn't know how much I would like it... etc. It seemed like a reasonable way to get a feel for it and my wife wouldn't go nuts about it - she spends more on shampoo so I was safe! 8-)

The cheap HF MD does work - I've found clad and a couple of wheaties and some junk in my back yard. I've learned a lot with just putting out $40. Some days I wish I put the $40 towards another machine but that's in hindsight after I've come to love this hobby.

My hope is to find a nice ring or something to pay for a new detector every time I get to go hunting. Until then I'm saving my money and I'll get a new detector soon. Until then I'll swing my HF detector and have some fun.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I would start with the Tesoro Compadre. Great little machine for the money and not a lot of bells and whistles to worry about learning when you need to be learning what your detector is trying to tell you.

ragu

Dec 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
The Ace 250 is great just got ours 2 days ago now and have had a lot of fun with it. but for four hundred you could almost get the Garret 550 which is a really nice machine! But just like everyone is saying. It comes down to knowing your machine. The display on mine is nice to kind of figure out what the tones mean but its inaccurate on depth from what I have figured out. With the ace it also depends on the type of item, depth, angle in the ground and type of ground. The only tone that has been consistently correct at any depth is foil! Its great fun. Yards are the best place, From my "VAST" experience on where to practice. You will have plenty of garbage to dig up and some clad too!

Buy something you feel comfortable with, watch videos on youtube (I did) and read on here! Then go buy, and get out there and do it. Detecting is much like the argument in car makes. IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER! There are millions of pros and cons to each machine. GET one try it then once you get the hang of it upgrade!

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am brand new to metal detectors but after some research here and on youtube I settled on the Tesoro Outlaw. I am absolutely thrilled with it.

My only problem to date is I should have bought a pin-pointer and a better digging tool right away.

Let us know which direction you took!:thumbsup:

Can't be said enough...get a good trowel and a pinpointer.

As far as best...everyone has favorites, I'm die hard Tesoro and White's is my second choice. Both are great machines and if you find out MD is not for you, they both have good resale value. Chances are you won't have that problem.

JanThorCro

Aug 29, 2012
The Land of Captain Crunch
Detector(s) used
DFX

Starting to understand the machine. :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new to metal detecting and was wondering what the best model and brand would be for a rookie like myself for a reasonable price ???

Welcome.

With that $400 I'd get myself a used MXT with a 6X9 on it.

We have a local dealer up here that will rent Metal Detectors for a day. Maybe you have one near you. Also a local detecting group may be able to help you get up and running and they know your area and soil and can tell you from there 1st hand experience what they like and do not like.

If you get one from a local dealer you may be able to get some instruction time from them, ask them.

Oh yeah, please fill all your holes and take the trash with you.

Happy Hunting

:thumbsup:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You didn't say what you want to look for so get the best used detector you can afford. Get one that can do lots of different things and is easy to use. Look for a used Whites XLT for about $400. It has an extremely easy ground balance and built in programs, Coins and jewelry at the touch of a button. It pinpoints perfectly and goes deep. Just make sure the screen works. That is the only problem that I have heard about them. Hay, mine is 10+ years old. I am still using it. Never had a problem with it. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-6.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 389

SpiritRelic

Sep 16, 2012
I say get the one that you can see what's in the ground before you dig it up!.How you going to beat that one.Now i heard this was the one. You can get whatever your heart desires but i know what i am getting.What more do you want?. ;-)

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure Hunter-Where Are You? Chevelle4ever, he is a moderator on this site and the advice he gave someone the other day was to check the classifieds here and see what you can find. Better and maybe more reliable than ebay or craigslist. Now, about that chevelle4ever, I had a roomie at Texas Tech years ago who loved cheveles. Ha had a few and was always telling me about them. He worshipped the ground they rolled on. His name was Ron Berry and he lived around Plano, Texas. I never shared his passion for them, but OMG, how he loved his Chevelles.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started out with w Garret Ace 250 and Pro Pointer. After months of practice and many hunting trips, I've learned a lot and continuously find better items. I finally upgraded to the AT Pro, but will hang onto the Ace 250, and it is a great machine to use one you really learn it.

I would recommend buying a good pin pointer with whatever detector you buy. Many times if an object is less than 6 inches or so, I can find it with my detector, and further pinpoint it with the Pro pointer, reducing digging greatly and decreasing dig time.

Vedersaposer

Oct 9, 2012
Schaumburg, IL
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, I know in the world of metal detecting i am a poser.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am also new and just bought a $150 Bounty Hunter machine, A lot of enthusiast will not take someone using that machine seriously but I have taken it out two days now and it seems to find stuff pretty deep, last night i got a metal ball about a 15 inches down so if you are not worried about status and just looking for a starter detector I am happy with my bounty hunter so far, Although just after a week of owning it I am already starting my plans for a top of the line upgrade.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions