new to metal detecting

B

boojagirl

I recently bought my first metal detector, it is a $50 dollar Junior version, it dos'nt show what it detects like the more expensive ones but it works, a few questions I have are, 1. Where are good places to look and 2. Will I get into trouble for digging in certain places, like I know I can dig in places like under the bleachers in the park but what about buildings around town, will I need permission? I have mostly been looking around my house and have found some pennies and old nails and an old tent stake and some kind of metal hook thing.

Upvote 0

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME!find someone in your area 2 help u or find a club,its more fun 2 hunt with a buddy,plus you'll get tips from someone whos experienced.good hunting!

B

Bill_Pickle

Hey I would suggest reading all the old posts on metal detecting. I am new to MDing as well however I have learned a ton of great information from this site. Old parks and fairgrounds are great. Private properties but you need to ask for permission from the owners. Old churches (get permission), trails in the woods, swim holes, etc.
Have fun and find lots of treasure ! ~Pickle

OP
OP
B

boojagirl

one place that I would love to be able to look around if I get permission is the old train depot a few blocks from our house, it is over 100 years old, and every Tuesday they have Tuesdays in the Park when people come to hear a band play outside in the depot yard.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
boojagirl,

sounds like a plan to me. Anyplace that people gather for a function like that is a good place to search. If the place has been there for a while and people have always gathered there, that is an even better place! Maybe you have old campgrounds by your house. I have one that is close to me but it is in a state park so I have to see if they have any laws about metal detecting there. I hiked through there and found old foundations and stuff. Definately want to get back to those.

Happy Hunting

Funkman

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i agree with bill, read a lot of the old posts. you will be surprised how many questions and answers you will come across. as well as a ton of other usefull info. good luck!

K

klpbaron

hi boojagirl , im pretty new myself to tecting' myself , one thing that will help is to learn how to dig a hole when you hit upon something , private property ....i allways ask , parks and other public places i just go and wait for someone to run me off lol , when i dig and recover then walk away you cant tell i was even there , there are videos on whites website that shows digging technique , its fast , leaves the ground looking un-disturbed , and will keep people from getting pissed , and you definately dont want it to look like a gopher is followin' you around , good luck and happy hunting , its highly addictive ! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread