New to Metal detecting

Peter123456

Jun 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

New to the forums and new to metal detecting. I live in Ottawa, ON Canada. My son got a metal detector from his uncle for Christmas like the one in the picture. garrett.jpg

So I am looking for some beginner advice on how to set the settings for recreational/beginner use. We ventured out to the local park and decided to search the beach volleyball court. I noticed that the detector was constantly alerting me to 'silver' almost everywhere I moved but we wouldn't find anything. The depth indicated the maximum which seemed odd, or maybe not. I dropped the sensitivity to the lowest setting and the readings were not accurate. Is park sand not considered a good place to search because of the contents of the sand?

I also tried getting the detector to detect my weeding band (14k) and I couldn't get a reading. I also could not get consistent readings for pocket change either?

The metal detector itself seems like a low-end or entry level product but I would think it should still have some reliable accuracy?

Does anybody have any suggestions for the beginner? Settings and techniques?

Thanks for any help,

Peter

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
I have no idea with that machine? It looks like a Chinese knock-off made to look very similar to the ACE Series detector manufactured by Garrett Metal Detectors, made in Texas.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, it does look like the child's uncle has been duped into buying a fake. Always buy from a trusted dealer. Spend your money once. :skullflag:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, it appears to be junk imho....

Metal Detector | Princess Auto

His uncle needs to get his money back if possible.

Here is a manual....
images11.palcdn.com/hlr-system/Documents/86/860/8603/8603052_manual.pdf

The manual does have PricessAuto 1-800 number, looks like they are the Canadian importer.

Good luck.....

Last edited:

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
It came from Princess Auto in Canada, I think. They are really reputable. Before you panic, why not drop a few coins in the yard and practice with the machine. Then if you are still having trouble, you can return it. Just an idea...

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What pushes some to buy Garrett clones? Tariffs? Duties?

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does this machine have a ground balance? Let the child dig up the back yard to learn both the machine and how to dig properly. Good luck. But as suggested get the refund and buy something reputable and as simple as your sons age requires. Plenty of good machines out there and a good retailer will help you get your son a detector that suits him. He will truly enjoy the hobby. Especially when he realizes how many loonies and townies he can stack up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread