New to metal detecting

Mohawk918

Greenie
Aug 22, 2014
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I'm here in St. Augustine, Florida and there is lots and lots to be found here. I know someone that has already found a Spanish Halberd, axe head, and a buckle in his back yard. I'm wanting to do some metal detecting there and need direction cause i have no idea about this subject. Ive heard i can make my own instead of having to spend a junk load on a good one. Im wanting to be able to go fairly deep say several feet but i dont need to know what it is im digging for cause thats half the fun to me. So could yall point me in the right direction on learning and everything. Thanks.

Upvote 0

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors dont go 2 feet down on smaller items. The Fisher F75 was on sale a while ago and is a deep machine. Im not sure if that deal is still on. Tesoros are great machines with lifetime warranty and are very light. I know it sounds like an adventure but having a machine that cannot discriminate can be frustrating - you will be digging alot of trash. Also in Florida you may want to consider a good beach machine such as the tesoro sand shark, Nokta velox,fisher cz21 etc. Detecting in salt water and high mineralisation needs a different detector.
I think you need to read, read, read then think about where you will be doing the most detecting and what it is you want to find.

Chub

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
You want a PI machine that will punch deep and lack discrimination. If you stick with it you'll eventually want something that does descriminate...probably.

OP
OP
Mohawk918

Mohawk918

Greenie
Aug 22, 2014
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most detecting will be in his back yard. About an acre. no beach hunting just yet. i knew i needed a water one if i did that. so just need one for dry land.
Now where do i get or make this PI machine?

dfallis1

Jan 5, 2016
Somewhere below the mason-dixon
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus-
Garrett GTI 2500-
Garrett AT PRO- Garrett Pro-Pointer AT-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PI is a pulse induction machine which doesn't discrim but goes deeper than common used machines like the AT Pro. Making your own, could be a fun project. There is a detector I have used and own which is the Garrett GTI 2500 with the treasure hound attachment. With that the machine can detect several feet below grade. But just like the PI you cant disc. Good luck and welcome to the hunt.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How many holes "a few feet deep" do you plan on digging each day??? Heck I see a detector out there that can hit on an army helmet at 6 ft deep. Here in Ohio I find old stuff between 5 to 10 inches down in yards and such.

BallsDeep

Apr 30, 2012
Eastern Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Surf Dual Field, Garrett Carrot Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whites SurfMaster PI Dual field is a great beach machine. plenty deep. no discrim

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can use PI water machines on land too - but they will pick up nails down 2 ft too
I used to use a whites Pi - I use a CZ21 for water and have used it to relic hunt on land and can
pick up musket balls easily at 2 ft - have gotten iron CW shell frags even deeper with it - but I hunt
in all metal - no discriminate
you can prob pick up a decent land machine for same price it might cost you to build one
they do make a few land PI machines too now - you'll have to look around for those - think they are up
there in price though

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so I'm here in St. Augustine, Florida and there is lots and lots to be found here. I know someone that has already found a Spanish Halberd, axe head, and a buckle in his back yard. I'm wanting to do some metal detecting there and need direction cause i have no idea about this subject. Ive heard i can make my own instead of having to spend a junk load on a good one. Im wanting to be able to go fairly deep say several feet but i dont need to know what it is im digging for cause thats half the fun to me. So could yall point me in the right direction on learning and everything. Thanks.

Here's my 2 cents after having lived in New Smyrna Beach for a number of years and also after having routinely hunted inland in places like Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, and other states as well. "The Fisher CZ-20/21" is not only a great water machine but it is also a great land machine with superb depth even in discrimination mode. Not only this, but it uses a concentric search field, very useful when trying to separate targets or when trying to maneuver through trash. To date it is still the deepest machine I have ever used on silver coins. The only down side is that as small targets get deeper you have to apply even tighter coverage, it also like big iron but since you're interested in that iron stuff as well it shouldn't matter. And this machine does have good discrimination when you desire it without any real significant loss in depth. So in this one machine you will a have fully submersible machine that can even handle saltwater conditions and a very effective land machine, however, you'll be stuck with a fixed coil as you can't swap coils on this machine. One other thing, the control housing can also be hung on a belt which leaves you with a very light and comfortable stick and coil for those longer hunts. I wish I still had mine now that I'm back in Indiana and may have another soon if I can get a good deal on one.

Silver Saver

Mar 15, 2017
Center of North America
Detector(s) used
Etrac- Sunray x5, x8, x12. Garrett Carrot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectors won't detect small objects like coins or buckles at more than 12" but might detect something like an axe head close to 2 feet. To reach an object like a coin at 8"-12"(pushing max depth) a good used detector in the price range of $400-$600 would be a cz or explorer series detector. Or if you're looking for cheaper than that an there are recommended detectors such as an omega 8000 for about 350 used, or even less $ than that a eurotek pro. My advice would be to just focus on the 4"-8" range because that will give you plenty to dig already and will still give up old items depending on location, and less digging=more targets. Just my own thoughts. I wish you luck in your adventures of metal detecting and the forums are here for any advice needed :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread