New to metal detecting

J. Bracy

Jul 20, 2019
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relatively new to metal detecting and finding it hard to find places to search without having to get permission. Or more to the point, finding someone authorized to give permission.... Also learning that the beaches here along the outer banks are protected, use of detectors are prohibited. Any suggestions on areas in Eastern NC? Doesn't even have to be the beach.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet. If itโ€™s not posted no detecting itโ€™s probably ok not including above named places. Good luck!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I put nice attire on and drive a nice clean car to a house and door knock. Smiling broadly I get permission about 90% of the time.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Like everyone said! :icon_thumleft: Private property always requires permission. :headbang:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost all towns and many parks commissions/departments have web sites. You can usually find a link the towns/cities ordinances via their website. Similarly you can find the rules to many parks on line. Here in my area of Ohio you are safe hunting those public lands, just do it during off times.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My county does not allow detecting on county property, however, the schools are ok out of school hours. County to the west is ok to detect with a free permit. County to the east allows no detecting. That's how it is. Try finding and joining a local metal detecting club if you have one anywhere close.

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will usually door knock with my son and use his boyscout ambitions as leverage. If that does not work then i stalk the house to learn there routines.. then once the owners go to sleep i start digging. Just kiddin but some houses that have said no i have thought about it.

Welcome to Tnet and a great hobby!!

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here, state parks out of the question...DNR are relentless. City parks usually ok. There are laws and regulations specifically for MD'ing here but generally no one cares what you're doing as long as you're not 'excavating'. I get an occasional paranoid that calls authority because they see someone doing something they themselves do not do...I don't get people sometimes. Otherwise, kids pester me most of anyone and they're generally not there for very long. If they just watch I don't care. I've never asked permission to hunt someone's yard...a lot of times 'I' get asked to do a yard through word of mouth instead. One day ill try to ask to hunt a yard.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Relatively new to metal detecting...
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Forum: North Carolina for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The OBX National Seashore is basically a National Park and detecting is highly prohibited, unfortunately. However from Nags Head north is ok to detect.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome. I put nice attire on and drive a nice clean car to a house and door knock. Smiling broadly I get permission about 90% of the time.

Same here! I am a relatively new detectorist, but so far I have gotten 7 or 8 people to let me hunt on private property and everyone has said yes (with the exception of one who said no because the person had a metal detector themselves). Just got to ask em. Sort of seems awkward sometimes though, but it is worth it...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread