New to Minelab

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello I am new to Minelab detectors and I won a GPX5000 (Thanks Mike From Woodland Detectors) and Love it so far. My only gripe is I have been told and have read that the coils are not water proof. My question is has anyone used silicon to seal them? not that I would put under water but I do dig in the rain not by choice or get heavy dew from the fields.

Thanks for your help.

Also does anyone here use a E trec in the virgina hot dirt? thinking about that as a back up.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hutch911 said:
Hello I am new to Minelab detectors and I won a GPX5000 (Thanks Mike From Woodland Detectors) and Love it so far. My only gripe is I have been told and have read that the coils are not water proof. My question is has anyone used silicon to seal them? not that I would put under water but I do dig in the rain not by choice or get heavy dew from the fields.

Thanks for your help.

Also does anyone here use a E trec in the virgina hot dirt? thinking about that as a back up.

You won a NEW GPX5000 :o You lucky dog..... I will trade you one of my Excals for it........ :laughing7:

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome the family and one heck of a prize...

blw

Greenie
Oct 28, 2007
Opelika Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
I sealed skid plates for the Explorer with black RTV. I don't know which coil you won. You can always peel it off if you need too.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also spray it with Plasti-Dip, same stuff you dip tools in to give them a rubber handle, it can be pealed off if needed to send in for coil warranty... It is a little work to peal off as it is tight, but it will peal and does not need to be scraped off at all..... I also use it on the aluminum handle on my scoop to help keep my hands clean.

Plasti-Dip is sold in Home Depot, Lowes and some Ace hardware stores, I am sure it is sold elsewhere, I just haven't had a need to look any where else as Home Depot is close to my home......

Plasti-Dip is what I use for my coil mods to make my cable splices for the custom coils waterproof.... So far not a single leak...... :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Hutch911

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks everyone!

GOLD1960