New to prospecting in MD/VA area

dms123

Nov 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone!

I've recently become sort-of addicted to prospected and haven't even begun. I've ordered all the basic equipment (pans, shovel, sniffer, bucket, classifier (1/4" to start), waders and other cool items). I'm waiting for my pans and waders to come in and am ready to hit the rivers.

I've already begun mapping out my areas I plan to start in Maryland - I live about 15 miles north west of the great falls area.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on areas to go for placer mining (aside from River Run). I've been looking at some areas of Rock Creek (Northern end - near laytonsville) and also some discrete areas of Little Bennett.

I'm open to all areas though, maybe within 50 miles to start. I'd also be interested in any claims that may be available for shared-rates or however it's done, probably in Virginia.

Any tips, suggestions, etc. I'd love to hear!

Thank you!
Dave

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Prospecting in the MV/VA area has little to offer. Most of my prospecting has been done in AZ/NM/CA/ areas. Your best bet for panning is between Great falls and the Cabin John bridge, But stay off the Gov. Lands ! Frank

GranjaDeOro

Aug 4, 2013
Falls Church Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was just out there yesterday and found silver ore. IMG_2943.jpg IMG_2943.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread