New to rock collecting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You still have a chance to save yourself! Quick, Delete your post before you catch this disease bad and end up like the rest of us.

Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're in a great state for rockhounding. Arid, sparse vegetation. A lot of dry stream beds to walk, that get stirred up during the monsoons, then dry out to search again. A warning, you'll end up with a hunched back from walking bent over all the time. Good luck.

When I was stationed in San Diego, early 70's, we would drive to the Yuma Proving Grounds, vast open dessert, and drive into it for a half mile or so and camp. Got away with it 3 times, caught and kicked out by Army security. But there were entire LOGS of petrified wood lying around. Rounds, like a section of fire wood before you split it, two to three feet in diameter were scattered, and HUGE chunks everywhere. We won't mention the artillery and mortar rounds lying here and there.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to our neck of the woods Terry. From what I've seen in some of your other posts your well on your way to a rock garden ;) Been years since I was back in AZ but there are hounds out there. Hope you find your hook up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You still have a chance to save yourself! Quick, Delete your post before you catch this disease bad and end up like the rest of us.
Too late!! Now I must get my FIX! I will pick on the Burro Creek area for awhile. Found Apache tears there and Patti Polk put out a book with BEAUTIFUL agates from there! TTC

Upvote 0
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're in a great state for rockhounding. Arid, sparse vegetation. A lot of dry stream beds to walk, that get stirred up during the monsoons, then dry out to search again. A warning, you'll end up with a hunched back from walking bent over all the time. Good luck.

When I was stationed in San Diego, early 70's, we would drive to the Yuma Proving Grounds, vast open dessert, and drive into it for a half mile or so and camp. Got away with it 3 times, caught and kicked out by Army security. But there were entire LOGS of petrified wood lying around. Rounds, like a section of fire wood before you split it, two to three feet in diameter were scattered, and HUGE chunks everywhere. We won't mention the artillery and mortar rounds lying here and there.
just got back from Holbrook a couple of weeks ago. I found some pet wood and agates there. Nothing like you have seen though. Take care. TTC

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread