New to sluice

oldbones

Feb 20, 2017
North California
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon, GGT Nugget, Gold n Sand Hand Dredge, Pans and classifiers.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello all. New guy here. Have some strong family history of prospecting and I've been looking to pick up a sluice or two. I have access to a low flow creek that I would like to work. And with my weekends I'm looking to get out more and do some prospecting. With Bazooka being out of business, I'm lost on which route to go. I've had my eye on the Grizzly Sluice 3 and an Angus MacKirk. If you were starting now with no access to a Bazooka, which way would you go? Any thoughts or criticism would be appreciated, thanks.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
You indicat you have a "low Flow" creek. I have an AM explorer that I use for low flow conditions. Not sure a BGT would work in a low flow situation without building a significant dam. When I work my Eplorer, I usually classify to 1/4". I think the last time I used it was last summer. Sometime I get away with using a plastic Drop Riffle sluice like the California Sluice.

OP
OP
O

oldbones

Feb 20, 2017
North California
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon, GGT Nugget, Gold n Sand Hand Dredge, Pans and classifiers.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, low flow. In Grass Valley, usually dry in the summer. With access to well water probably 200 yards away. I'll look at that explorer, thanks for the input.

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have personally been eyeing a gold hog stream sluice. Just giving you another avenue of thought.

I am currently waiting on a review from someone that has one.

agolddigger

Oct 28, 2016
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Angus MacKirk's are often mentioned for low-flow conditions, just picked up an AM Foreman myself for this exact purpose.

Haven't bought a GH stream sluice yet but that's my plan for when I get into some more production scenarios.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions