New to the board/ looking for headphones

R

Robert1969

I have been reading this board for about a month and have learned so much. You are all a great source of information.

I recently purchased a used Minelab 17000 off ebay and am now looking for some headphone.
Problem is i don't know what to buy.
Also have a question on impedance. Are high ohms bettter or worse?

Upvote 0

IronMike

Nov 2, 2003
Sacramento California
Hi Robert1969. Glad to here from you. I think headphones are a personal preference. I have been experimenting this summer with several kinds and types. I really like my KOSS UR30's, cost me $50.00, but here in California, they will make your ears leak for a week after a good day of use and are really hard to fit a hat with so I have been looking around and trying different things.
I tried one of those AMP/SPEAKER things from Radio Shake, total waste of money for me. It seems to work well enough for some people buy mine might have been damaged as there was little if any volume adjustment and the speaker was not very good quality.
I got one of those mini transmitters that you plug into a portable CD player and it transmits to a FM radio that I carry in my shirt pocket, this set up cost about $50.00. Works well, can wear a big hat but problematic with radio stations close by and other noise such as wind or a stream.
Yesterday I tested a set of KOSS clip on's. These little guys have a full size ear pad (about 1 inch diameter) and have this bit of plastic that sort of hooks over and around you ear, cost $10.00. Worked well but were a bit weak in the signal strength.
Also tried a set of ear buds with a loop system on them that hung on the ear also but did not like them at all.
As far as ohm impedance, if I remember correctly, my UR30's are 37 or 47 ohm. Many years ago we were able to get hold of some 93 ohm speakers and those were the bomb. You could here a fly fart with those. Hope this helps a bit.
Micheal

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
One thing I find is here in arizona the fake leather headphones sweat like crazy, I use the cloth ones myself even tho they don't cancel the noise as well as the fake leather.

A

Azau

Higher impedance @ about 150 ohms are considered good for Gold nugget shooting. Yes it does make a difference, they have a nice crisp sound and you can hear faint sounds small nuggets or deep nuggets make. If the weather's hot then full ear cup design are a bit too hot for me. I've owned and used the XT 17000 and used Grey Ghosts or a highend pair of Koss. For hot weather, I use a good pair of Sony headphones that are fairly well made and have decent sound, they cover just the ear and let some air in for ventilation. I used the Sony phones yesterday in Western Az desert, temps hovered about the 107 degree mark :o.

OP
OP
R

Robert1969

Thanks for all the info. didn't even think about how headphones would be in the heat. It was 105 today in northern Cal. I was looking at the Grey Ghosts but the price is a little to much for me. Maybe I'll keep an eye out on ebay. Thanks again the info really helped out and I was thinking that higher ohms was better

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread