New to the boards......Hello!

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
I am new and have spent my time here reading instead of posting. I just wanted to say HI and say I have enjoyed reading all the useful information. After many years of wanting to start MD'ing I am now getting my chance. I am going out this weekend for the first time to a few spots in the small town where I grew up (approx. 100-200 people). Some areas I will be hitting are an old school house (it was our "playground" growing up), an old baseball field, site of an old church (gone for years), old picnic site (not used for years), and an old mine (limestone or coal). I believe the school (on a 1904 map, and the baseball field have been searched in the past. The mine entrance should be interesting. There is a pretty good size clearing where they probably ate lunch and relaxed. This spot is not where anyone would be able to find it so I think there is a real good chance it has never been searched. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting.

Upvote 0

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hello, and Welcome to the forum...
Sounds like you got some good places to start, don't forget about the old swimming hole if there was one.
Here in the so-called big city, Indy, they have already built new things over my old stopping grounds, and I am unable to hunt most of them :(

Looking forward to seeing your resaults
Good Luck & Happy Hunting~

L

lookstwice

i too read for quite a while before posting, just trying to get a feel for the folks here...welcome and be sure to talk to the "old folks at home" about some other places to hunt...they'll probably enjoy talking and you might get a few unexpected leads

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome! Do us a favor, if you please. Get a digital camera for all that loot your going to unearth. We like the pictures. Good luck & HH! Chris

OP
OP
J

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
Thanks everyone! It is raining around here but it is going to stop by Saturday. I read that a wet ground is better so i am really looking forward to this now. No problem with the digital camera, I got a Sony with the 10x zoom and a ton of features I know nothing about, :D . I will most certainly be taking pics of the finds and the area.

I am hoping to find some old mining stuff or something I need an ID on so I can post it for Buckram. I have read that there is very little he does not find the answer for. I'll let you know how it goes on Monday. Thanks for all the welcomes.

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
From one newbie to another....Howdy.
Man, I was grateful for a rainfall, we had such a long dry summer it was gettin' tough to dig into the dirt, had a little rain and it made all the difference in the world. Happy Hunting. Dan

OP
OP
J

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
Thanks everyone. I am either going Saturday or Sunday. I thought Saturday now I don't know. It looks like I will end up working 14 hours today and then drive 4 hours so I am not sure if I'll make it out on Saturday. I'll let everyone know how I do on Monday.

warthog steve

Mar 23, 2003
Brown City,Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1350GTA for dry,Fisher 1280X for wet........
:oHEY NEWBIE-IF THERE ARE ANY OLD HORSHOE PITS THERE;CHECK THEM OUT;I DETECTED THEM AT A PLACE I VISIT EVERY YEAR;FOUND LOTS OF OLD 1930S-1940S SILVER AROUND THEM-THE PICNIC GROUND IS A GREAT PLACE TO FIND OLD COINS AND JEWELRY;WHEN MEN WERE SITTING ON A BLANKET WITH THEIR FAVORITE GAL,THEY WERE NOT CONCERNED WITH WHAT FELL OUT OF THEIR POCKETS!!! ;) ;D :-*

OP
OP
J

jmginmd

Nov 10, 2004
Well, I got to go out but only for an hour. I decided to go to a park for the first time out. I found a cap to a metal lipstick container, a pull tab, and a dime from 1996. Not what i was hoping for. I kept getting alot of signals but it was hard finding anything. When I would get a signal and try to narrow the search area by "X-ing", the area would still be the size of a dinner plate. I really could not get the area more precise than that. I guess I could use a few tips before I head out this weekend. I know I will get to go for longer on Sunday so I am hoping I will get better with practice. Any advice would be appreciated.

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Welcome aboard.
While "X-ing" keep your ear on the loudness of the tone. You can narrow that dinner plate down to a coffee saucer by going with the highest tone it gives in the center of the X.
Also: practice, practice, practice. Throw a couple coins in view on the ground of your front yard and practice Xing over them where you can see them. This will give you a feel for the detector. Then picture the same coin under-ground.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Happy hunting.
David xXx

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, from another newbie! I am back into MDing just recently. A few years back, I had a Radio Shack Discovery 1000, and I got so sick of digging up trash, I sold in on eBay after just a few trips out. 2 years leter, the bug has hit me again! I just went out with my new BH Pioneer EX, and found more change in 2 hours at the local elementary school than I did in 3 weeks with the other one! The machines are really the same, and I think the difference is in knowing how to use it. I actually read the manual, and cha-ching, much better results! My 8 year old daughter has also got the bug, and I picked her up a Radio Shack $49.95 special, and she found a few coins and a costume jewelry butterfly pin that to her was a good as a chest pull of gold doubloons, lol! In the process, we also removed a large bag of trash from the school yard, so all in all, it was a good day! I'm going to hit the local beaches next, and the site of an old resturaunt the was recently torn down after being vacant for 30 years! Anyone out there in Rhode Island looking for MDing partners???

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
while " X'ing" the target, try turning your sensativity way down, the circufrence of your dinner plate should get a lot smaller... If it is a coin, it should become very small...
Hope this helps, and better luck next time...
I look at it like this,,, The good stuffs in the next hole I dig ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread