New to the Forum

Billy Blaze

May 2, 2006
Weatherford, Tx
Hi, I live in Weatherford Texas...am a musician/vocalist, certified Optician, and race autocross.
Now I have always been interested in the sort of stuff on this great site and would like some pointers about how to get started.
I dont know the first thing about MD, can someone help a newbie out, maybe I can return the favor with some of my knowledge on the above listed.
Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find a local dealer,find a club or somebody else in your area that hunts and explain 2 your other half that your a sick,sick man who has an addiction.WELCOME 2 the club

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
BB,

welcome to the site.

Check into old posts, you'll get a mess of
info that is helpful.

Clubs in your area would be a good choice
in getting honest info.

have a good un............

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Welcome to the forum Billy. I've just started out on this hobby myself. I picked up a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 from Radio Shack and it works great for someone just getting into this hobby. The chain sporting goods stores had metal detectors also (in case you can't find a local dealer). Maybe try out with one of these store bought ones and then upgrade and give the first one to your wife. That way you can double team a particular site of interest.

Funkman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy Western & Eastern Treasures magazine, it's the best mag. on detecting. Go to these manufactures web sites and read all you can. Stick to the name brand detectors and you won't be sorry, like Garrett, Fisher, Tesoro, Minelab, Troy, Whites. Forget the Radio Shack detectors, they have trouble with a quarter under a newspaper. LOL.....

A Garrett Ace 250 is a great machine to start with and it's only About $200.00. The price goes up from there and so does the learning curve. Ask any questions you need to on this forum and we'll answer as best we can. Some of us have been at this as long as there has been dirt.

Good luck....

OP
OP
B

Billy Blaze

May 2, 2006
Weatherford, Tx
Thanks folks for the really good info.
I have been doing some research on the Garrett Ace 250, it has come highly recommended.
Any particular areas good for starting?
I mean like should I start with searching by trees or unusual rock formations on ground level etc.
Thanks
I have read that it is illegal to search in state parks, where are some good areas to start?

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll probably have to give up you other avocations. This hobby can be very addictive. :D
Welcome!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On detecting in state parks, some states have restrictions and other don't. Check the States web site for the Parks and any metal detecting rules. Garrett puts out a nice book called, SUCESSFUL COIN HUNTING and it gives many ideas on where to detect that some would never have thought about.

texaspapa111

Oct 26, 2005
Cleburne, Texas
Hey Billy, I happened to catch your post. I am the current pres. of Cowtown Treasure Hunters Club in Ft.Worth.We have our monthly meetings every third Tue. nite at the Ft.Worth Fire and Police Training Ctr.@1000 Calvert.We have members from Weatherford. Would love to have you as a guest(you will also receive a special gift for showing up)

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I had to chime in and say welcome! Oh..and im a bit jealous. I was born in Weatherford. Parents moved me to Michigan when I was young, Ill never forgive them. lol. Just good to hear the town still exists. Havent been back in years. Best advice, start with quality, learn from experience. Again, welcome to the hobby and best of luck. Dave.

OP
OP
B

Billy Blaze

May 2, 2006
Weatherford, Tx
Thanks guys!

The Cowtown thing sounds like a lot of fun, i will try and get over there asap.

I am trying to figure out where I am going to fit the new hobby in, I am a musician/ singer songwriter, and race cars on some weekends too....but where there is a will there is a way.

The good thing is the wife is interested in doing it too.

Weatherford has been unchanged until the past 8-10 years now we have all the Ft Worth people coming out to build ranches but I don't mind, it's still a nice town.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread