New to the hobby! Hunting Prospect Park?

toughturtle

Apr 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 - DD and Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. Total newbie here!

I just mailed my permit application to the city of New York and ordered a machine this morning. Anyone know the timeframe of getting the permit?

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on good spots to begin with.
Are there any good spots in the Brooklyn area, specifically the Park Slope, Gowanus, Red Hook, Windsor Terrace, etc areas? Or are parks pretty much it within the city.

Thanks for any insight anyone can give. I have searched the forums and have learned alot already, but wanted to ask these few questions just in case someone local could help.

This is, hopefully, going to be a great weekend hobby to do with the kids. Or without them, who knows. Im excited.

Todd

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GeekNJ

Mar 10, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & MI-6, Bounty Hunter Land Ranger & Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the site and hobby! I'm not far from you in Northern NJ but can't answer any of your questions. There is a NY forum and sub-forums so you might search there as well as ask the same question there. New York

David

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prospect Park is only available to detect on the weekends, and many areas are off limits. All the info is on your permit. You can only use a hand digger no longer than 7" More info here Metal Detector Permits : NYC Parks Lots of people detect the park and have taken some NICE silver coins out over the years that by law, are supposed to be turned over to the Parks Department. You'll have to make up your own mind - good luck!

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to a great hobby and to TNet! I am a fellow Brooklynite, but now live in the "wilds" of New Hampshire (quite a difference). To be fair, I haven't lived in Brooklyn for 40 years. Come from Bath Beach/Bensonhurst area (near Shore Parkway).

Enjoy the hobby and happy hunting!

Anita

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... and have taken some NICE silver coins out over the years that by law, are supposed to be turned over to the Parks Department. You'll have to make up your own mind - good luck!

Interesting that the permit says you guys must "turn in valuables" (or at least silver, or whatever)

Actually, I wonder what would happen if I walked in to my own city hall (that has no rules or permits or anything at all addressing detecting), and if I were to hold up a 1916D mercury dime, and say:

"Hi, I found this in *your* park. It's worth $5,000. Can I keep it for my own fun and enjoyment to sell on ebay? Or does it belong in the city museum or for the city coffers?".

I bet I could find someone in my city, (and any city across the entire USA) to tell me "No, you must give that to us". Everyone seems to ignore the harmless md'r plying the beach or park, UNTIL someone gets the bee-in-their-bonnet: "gee, what if he finds something valuable??".

Curious: do you know of any prospect park hunters that have actually gone to turn in their silver coins?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know or see nuthin'.. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread