New to the hobby, oh but luck was with us

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods and metal detectors
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all im new here and i am also new to the hobby of gold panning and metal detecting. Today was an awesome day. My family and i went to a stream known to produce gems and gold. We brought home 2 buckets of some really nice concentrate. My step son has been going through it most of the night and so far has filled a 1oz jar 1/2 way. Wow that was awesome. And on the metal detecting front at an old home sight i found an old mason jar lid, it was not still intact to the jar but down below it i found a marble. Not thinking nothing about the marble i tossed it into my change catcher on my night stand. After thinking about it i searched the internet about old marbles and found out i have a rare one that very well could be worth some good money. Any tips and tricks advise would be appreciated. We are just starting and arent completely sure were on top of gold panning concentrate correctly, we are looking for black sand and picking gold from there.

Upvote 0

badski78

Jan 16, 2007
Delaware Cty, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Welcome. I'm not a panning person myself - but you made me think twice on the canning lids I've found. Never went any deeper if there was no metal sound - but old marbles are worth digging. Congrats on your find and good luck with your future MD and panning.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find the spot again, I'd dig a bigger hole - one marble in a mason jar sounds too lonely - maybe there are more?

OP
OP
bman3725

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome. Here is a pic of the marble. Check it out

ForumRunner_20120504_070953.png

John Silvered

Apr 18, 2012
Arrrrgh.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to play with a bunch of those marbles. Greenish clear glass around a multi-colored flower petal looking center.
I believe they are called "cat's eyes" ...the bubbles trapped in the glass are a "feature" too. Make sure the cats eyes marbles
you look up in ebay for example have bubbles in the glass like yours do.

I'm with Tigger...where there is one...

OP
OP
bman3725

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks John I will look into that. I plan on digging there tomorrow to see what else comes up.

OP
OP
bman3725

bman3725

Apr 30, 2012
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Went to the same spot and found 23 more marbles all of the same types with the bubbles and all. 12 of them are the "Ox Blood" style, which is worth something. Wow i started this thinking of finding gold, relics, coins...etc etc never thought about marbles. Guess i know where the phrase comes from no about one loosing their marbles. hahahaha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread