New to the hobby wondering if my detector is ok

Dec 24, 2008
hey my dad recently died in October and i got his metal detector, he was just starting to get into the hobby i was wondering if the detector i was using was good or should i upgrade its a prospector pr200dr made by bell and howl it has an LCD screen powered by two 9volt's 8 inch coil, i dunno i haven't had time to take it out with all the ice here in pa the last couple of weeks, but please i hear there are all kinds of detectors out there and eventually i want to upgrade to something like a garret 2500 or 250 please let me know if i can even find anything with this thanks

Mike

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way is to take it out and see what targets you can find while you save up for the upgrade if you still want one come spring....

Good Luck,
Sandman

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
Never used one but you could buy new for prospector 200 for 38$
Think that speaks for it self..
Bill

lucky6

Jun 11, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites Dfx Spectrum
I've been detecting for ten years and have come to understand that detecting is 90% location and 10% Metal Detector. I Have a Whites Dfx Spectrum which I love because of all the bells and whistles. Go online to find out more about your detector's capabilities and optimum settings based on ground conditions. After planting a few objects yourself at depths of 2" to 8", determine how well your setting are adjusted to detect these objects. Once discovering optimum adjustments, do a little research on the areas you plan on detecting and let your coils start flying. Some coils have different levels of sensitivity based on how fast or slow you swing them. I suggest going over any area at different swing speeds and also different angles as well as different sensitivities. Try to dig everything in areas that should be promising, remove the trash as you go along. Some valuable items have their signals masked by trash items lying right next to them. Try to revisit areas you have hunted before traveling from different directions. Right after a descent soaking of the ground by rain you may notice an increase in signals possibly deeper in the ground. Keep your fingers crossed, have patience with yourself and your equipment and most of all enjoy the other things the hobby provides other than treasure, like peace of mind and solitude! Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread