New to the Hobby

JGRDHS

Feb 4, 2011
Belleville IL
Good evenening everyone; I just wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading the posts on here; they have proved both educational and entertaining. I am very new to this, and just bought my first metal detector. It is a White's 6000 di pro sl. It's embarassing how cheap I got it. However, from what I understand, it's a fairly reliable older model with many good reviews. I was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts on this particular device? I am still learning about its usage as it came with the original manual. It definetely works; a quick trip toa local park netted 42 cents worth of change. Nothing too old or interesting, but nice to see that it worked.

I am in the Belleville IL area (southern IL, near St. Louis) and would love to hear from anyone in the area. This recent weather has been brutal, but has provided some down time at work (Illinois State Trooper) where I can scout some possible hunting grounds and do some research. I have a lot of good thoughts and potential sites if it would just STOP SNOWING!

East St. Louis is very close, but is an absolute safety nightmare. There are many good abandoned properties, old sites, and long existing public parks and fields....but not the safest environment. I can legally be armed, but certainly wouldn't mind if someone was with me who was also armed; legally or not!

Regardless, good luck to everyone in 2011. Once I get these coins cleaned up a little without damaging them, I will post a picture.

-James

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Welcome aboard James!

Every time I've passed E. St. Louis it just looks like that perfect mix between the hottest ghost town and some place I'd rather not be. I know there's some awesome good md'ers just across the bridge there and they are prolific finders of the goods.

This time last year it was hard to find many Ilinois Forum posters south of I-80 but it's good to hear from that growing bunch. For the grass is always greener side of me and a lot of us NE Illini we envy your locale no doubt!

Being froze-in up this way right now only our heartier contingent is out to play lately so it's more fun and games or what passes for it than hunt finds.

Happy hunting
Here's to getting out!

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome State Trooper! Glad to have someone on your side of the law participating in this hobby! I don't know anything about your machine but no matter how much you read or have people tell you things, the only way to really learn is to spend time in the field. No matter how long you spend with it, it teaches you something new each time you go out. Another thing is that the ground will never be the same in two places. You have to always adjust to the area you are detecting.

The next best lesson, is to dig everything. Even if you dig pop tops all day, you are clearing the way to the deeper old coins! And sometimes a junk signal turns out to be some kind of cool relic or piece of old jewelry.

Enjoy!

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome james, i'm not far from dekalb, but still a drive from st.louis. i do get down to coal city a few times a year, thats a little closer.

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright: St.Louis is somewhere I've wanted to detect for awhile. I remember Kermit ran into trouble a couple years back at a park in Chicago. Who ever figured MDing could be a full contact sport?
HH
John

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
dirtyJohn said:
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright: St.Louis is somewhere I've wanted to detect for awhile. I remember Kermit ran into trouble a couple years back at a park in Chicago. Who ever figured MDing could be a full contact sport?
HH
John

lmao.... i saw barney (AKA the purple dinasaur) get beat up one day leaving a birthday party he attended...lol not kidding..... HH Joe Hoo? ( Central Illinois)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread