New to the hobby!

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Been reading this forum about coin roll hunting. So Wednesday I decided to stop by 3 branches of my bank. I live in a relatively small town so I figured my chances were decent of finding some silver halves. The first bank I went to didn't have any rolls but gave me $7 of halves from her drawer. And what do you know, a 69 half! Next bank had 7 hand rolled halves and some loose ones. Found a 68 in the rolls. Third bank they had $110 in rolls in a fed box (machine rolled) and they yielded nothing.

Today I hit up about 6 other banks. First bank yielded a 67 in loose change. 2nd bank yielded a 68 AND a 64 in loose change! The next 4 banks yielded no silver. So in 2 trips I have found about $33 in silver! I am now a bit skeptical about the fed rolls and will only request loose or hand rolled halves for now on. I think being in a small town is advantageous, although when I bought the fed roll the teller asked why everyone is buying halves lately, so I may have some competition. But it sounds like my competition is only interested in searching fed rolls. I'll stick to the loose and hand rolled ones! There are about 6 small towns within a 50 mile radius of my home and I believe one day next week I will hit every bank in everyone of those small towns. I hope the smallness of the towns will increase my chances of finding silver. There will probably be about 40 banks to hit.

Anyway, thanks for this forum. It has given me insight and motivation to search halves. I have already collected almost an ounce of silver! Look forward to reporting finds and reading others.

Upvote 0

Irish Finn

Mar 31, 2007
Chicago Fed District
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on traveling to the small towns near you. I tried a couple of times and some one had already been there a week before me. There are many more people doing this than you think.

OP
OP
lovewiibrew

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Yes unfortunately I was even surprised that people in my tiny town were looking for them. I can only hope I raid the banks before they do!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Nice finds!!

I think more people are onto silver prices and CRHing than we realize.

I was spending/dumping halves at a gas station yesterday, and an older wealthy lady shouted out "if you have silver ones, they are worth $13 each." I would have never guessed a woman like her would have known the first thing about silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread