New to the sport an I have a Garett GroundHog an I do not know how to use

Deanobangbang

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked up a nice detector, the Garrett Ground Hog but I am just blank stare when I try to use it, it's allll over the place. Can't take it off the ground with out it just a solid tone, won't detect small steel nails an bolts but would pick up aluminum caps an very larg pieces of steel all above the ground. Was out all day an wasn't picking up anything underground at all. I live in Kingman AZ at 4000 feet elevation. Please please help

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Until a member pipes in - you might also browse Forum > Brands > Garrett for information on your MD.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did it come with a manual? You can find them online if you don't have one. http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby-manuals/ADS-Deepseeker-Groundhog.pdf

One thing you should keep in mind is that your have a VERY old detector! It requires constant adjustment to keep it functioning properly and doesn't like changes in ground minerals, or changes in coil hieght. Because of it's age, it is very likely that some of the internal components have failed.

The good news is that Garrett can probably still repair it for you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deanobangbang

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually found it in the house I just moved in, I looked inside when I changed the battery's an no damage or wear and tear AT ALL an the disc looks like it's never touched the ground, I thought it was newer but old style looking no instructions but I did find the one instructions you showed me but I am still lost.
I am lost on the whole TR/VLF, the "master switch" at the end of handle, when to use an why?
I do know that TR is out the door but is used in some cases....when we're an why?
Auto and manual switch?
The power switch/sensitivity is that the depth at witch your shooting for?

I have never played with one of these ever. An I no this is not a great starter an I am MORE THAN READY to learn how to master this rig

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man.... it's been so long since I swung one of those. You want to stay in VLF mode. VLF was an improvement over the TR mode, but they made these switchable units because there were (always are) old timers who didn't want give up the old technology.

IIRC, the switch on the handle was used as
1- press and hold while slowly scanning the target to get a depth reading
2- momentarily press and release to de-tune or re-tune the detector. If you were trying to pinpoint and the target seems large, you move in a little bit a re-tune and makes the target response smaller. doing this several times would get you centered directly over the target. then hold the coil (not disc) over clear ground and re-tune to be back to full sensitivity.

LEt me think some and I'll try to add more.

OP
OP
D

Deanobangbang

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to see it was built in the transition days.
I thank you for your understanding. An not one of this guys that say tops it an buy a new one because I'm in no position to buy such a machine.
I'm trying the Ben h test but I can't even get it "tuned" right, it just keeps making soooooo much noise. Just can't stabilize it at all. It doesn't catch stuff on the bench test unless in directly on the coil. Even when it's just sitting there it will start humming real loud. Bout the take some more Alive an take a walk at it again.
I just hope it's not broken it's toooooo clean to have something wrong I think.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also recommend running your sensitivity in auto. Follow the directions for "auto" under "optimum tuning" on the first page.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dean,

Here's hoping you can figure out how to run the machine stable....a guy several years back picked one of those machines up at a garage sale and didn't have the manual....I gave him a link for the online one...

He said thanks but no thanks he just ran it wide open and in about 3 months dug about $350 in clad, silver, gold and relics....oh yeah he paid $25.00 dollars for it....lol...

Regards + HH

Bill

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm starting to see it was built in the transition days.
I thank you for your understanding. An not one of this guys that say tops it an buy a new one because I'm in no position to buy such a machine.
I'm trying the Ben h test but I can't even get it "tuned" right, it just keeps making soooooo much noise. Just can't stabilize it at all. It doesn't catch stuff on the bench test unless in directly on the coil. Even when it's just sitting there it will start humming real loud. Bout the take some more Alive an take a walk at it again.
I just hope it's not broken it's toooooo clean to have something wrong I think.

I think you are just going to have to play with it to see if it will work, but it sounds like it may have some problems.

OP
OP
D

Deanobangbang

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An do I use the little meter or is it just for the battery testing

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, it should show you where the target responds at as well as depth when using the pinpoint mode.

OP
OP
D

Deanobangbang

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill.....Ran it wide open??? That's where I'm trying to get that way I can go from there but right now it doesn't even catch anything unless it's in contact with the coil

OP
OP
D

Deanobangbang

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok here's a crazy question....from what I have read, is there supposed to be a solid tone constantly while your detecting? Or a silent tone until ya hit somthing metallic?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dean,

The machine should be quiet until you are over a target....if there's a sensitivity knob drop it down until it's stable unless there's a target under the coil.

Regards + HH

Bill

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With your detector, it could be either way. You should be able to set it to be silent. Most seasoned hunters would run it with a barely audible constant tone (threshold). It would let you hear tiny changes in threshold increase to very deep targets, and it would let you know if the ground had changed in one aspect and the tuning needed to be adjusted. But the auto tuning is supposed totake care of that automatically.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
that's a dinosaur. Great for their era (1977-80-ish), but quickly out-paced in the era when motion discrimination came out. The TR disc. would give you fits and was very fickle for when you hit the tune button, and if you subsequently lifted it.

The VLF mode was great, and still competitive today somewhat. Like if you had a place where you could hunt in all-metal (the wide open beach for instance) and didn't need to eliminate nails/iron, then this mode would still work. But I'm afraid to say that even then, a bunch of today's machines will outpace that depth, even in disc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread