New to the Website and Hobby

Aug 2, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow people of the internet :hello: I have always found the hobby of fun and interesting. When I was a kid I would literally just dig around my yard (with out a detector) and see if I could find things, amazingly enough I had found two bits of jewelry. Lord knows what I did with them because I was just a kid adventuring in my yard. Now I am twenty years old actually turning twenty one this month. So as a gift to myself I am going to invest in an entry level MD. I have read a few different post and forums on this site sense signing up for it today. I am looking to spend about $300 and have been searching and comparing. I did come across The Teknetics Delta 4000 and would like to get some peoples opinions on it. I live in Virginia Beach now and so I am planning to do a lot of my time on the beach (AWAY from the water) in the sand and find some properties (with permission of coarse) and parks and stuff. Hope every one has a great day! :tongue3:
-K :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
allow me to be the first to welcome you ( and it has nothing to do with you being 20)

I love beaches and would get a beach proof machine

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet, you might spend hours and hours here - this site is addictive.

And so is treasure hunting! From your intro it looks like you have had the fever for years!

Salt water beaches can be a problem for many entry level detectors. I gave my cousin my Ace-250 and it falses a lot on the beach. However, that didn't stop him from finding 6 pieces of gold jewelry in his first year or so.

mi77915

Greenie
Nov 26, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Michigan!!!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Forum from the Shenandoah Valley! You will find that the detector will not be happy near the beach but other areas it may be fine. If you hunt the beach, stay away from the water and the wet sand as they will cause problems but the loose sand may be workable. Back from the ocean will probably be your best bet and if you have some properties in mind, just remember to research to see if there might have been a school or some other building there where people gathered and lost items. Good luck and happy hunting!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

OP
OP
I
Aug 2, 2017
Virginia Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff-gordon So any suggestions for a beach proof machine then? I've done some more searching and it is such a difficult decision when I am not the most knowledgeable on the subjects. Also thank you every one for the welcoming comments.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! My AT Pro has worked well at the beaches, but it's a bit beyond your price range. With the AT Max coming out, though, you may be able to find a good used AT Pro at a price closer to what you want. Another thought is to practice and build your skills and treasure collection away from the beaches first, then consider when it's time to step up in machine and tackle the beach. Just another possibility. You will find in treasure hunting there are ALWAYS possibilities! :icon_thumright:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
allow me to be the first to welcome you ( and it has nothing to do with you being 20)

I love beaches and would get a beach proof machine
Don't let Jeff scare you. Rumor has it he has GRANDCHILDREN your age! (kidding, JG) JG has been around here long enough to give you good info on the hobby. WELCOME! ╦╦Ç

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well, my machine is not for salt water, so when I go to the beach I am limited

I would like to find a nice used white's beachhunter
but last time I was there a guy had an minelab?? don't know the model and he was getting gold I missed

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello fellow people of the internet :hello: I have always found the hobby of fun and interesting. When I was a kid I would literally just dig around my yard (with out a detector) and see if I could find things, amazingly enough I had found two bits of jewelry. Lord knows what I did with them because I was just a kid adventuring in my yard. Now I am twenty years old actually turning twenty one this month. So as a gift to myself I am going to invest in an entry level MD. I have read a few different post and forums on this site sense signing up for it today. I am looking to spend about $300 and have been searching and comparing. I did come across The Teknetics Delta 4000 and would like to get some peoples opinions on it. I live in Virginia Beach now and so I am planning to do a lot of my time on the beach (AWAY from the water) in the sand and find some properties (with permission of coarse) and parks and stuff. Hope every one has a great day! :tongue3:
-K :laughing7:
I hunted a beach south of Virginia Beach. Between Duck and Corolla, NC. I found 4 gold rings that day. It was mid winter. Blustery, very windy, in the mid 40s. THE KEY in the area is the sand goes out to sea for the winter! The rings were on the bare coral "rock". This was back in the early 90s. The area has grown some but the beaches/coral rock should still be public. ╦╦Ç

Edit: I used a submersible PI machine as the waves washed in to knee level.

Last edited:

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Virginia Beach.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coming off the Chesapeake is a sandy beach at Little Creek. Go look there! You will find LOTS of 20 year old Navy Seals there (wink wink)! One of my nephews was an instructor there. He stayed in my sailboat at the LC Muni docks. ╦╦Ç

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wait until the ATP Max comes out and I guarantee you'll see a lot of ATP's selling. I know I'll be selling mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome aboard from Canada

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet, from an Ohio coinshooter. You found a great Forum to join, it's a community of us who share knowledge, opinions, and some humor. The Delta would be a great starter in my opinion, but many brands, and models fall into this category. I am a DD coil fan hope you take the time to research the difference between concentric and a DD coils before you make a decision/purchase. The Delta could have found over 90% of my keepers since many are only 4 to 7 inches deep. If you're going to dig in the sand, I recommend you get a good sand scoop. Looking forward to seeing some of your finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread