New to the website, unique antique French clock

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll so I finally decided to join the conversation!

I've been following treasurenet.com for many years, from a voyeurs perspective. I always loved seeing and reading about people's finds. Over the years I've seen what I feel to be remarkable finds, from my own personal interests, and I always try to guess which of those finds will eventually end up as banners finds. It's always cool to see an item go banner, and some people are lucky or locationally privledged to be finding some of the items they are able to produce. The beauty of treasure hunting to me though, is found in each item that is located. What some people view as trash, may be another persons favorite find. And I find that I spend a lot of time in the "what is it?" Forum. I've come to understand that there are some highly talented people in identifying objects that are obscure or degraded to a point of what seems to be unidentifiable. Then someone comes out of left field and correctly identifies that same object, by pictures alone, without examining in their own hands. Really cool people! There is fine talent found on this site.

Personally, I don't spend much time digging for treasure. I've been treasure hunting for well over 15 years. Treasure hunting for me is found in the information that leads to the dig site. This is where I specialize. I also tend to find treasure hidden in plain sight that you can buy for a few dollars at an antique store, and realize a value of much higher significance or value later. Treasure can be found anywhere. Let your detectors yelp in your ears, and be keen in your sight. It's right under your nose, if you are lucky to be in the right place at the right time!

So enough about me for now, I look forward to future conversation with you all in the future.

I'm really good at identifying items that I pick up for my own personal collections, but the item I'm about to show has stumped me for years. I bought this clock about 7-8 years ago, and for the life of me, I cannot identify its maker. I'm assuming this clock came as a two piece assembly. The mount that would secure it to the wall, and the clock itself. I have looked throughout the case itself, inside and out, for a Signature or makers marks, and they are not on the case or movement. The serial numbers match between the movement, and the case, as well as it is written on the backside of the face in quill and ink, but no maker on the case or movement anywhere. But this piece is a work of art, that is highly detailed in its casting. I've looked everywhere for another example, and can't find anything even remotely close, in style or concept. So I'm reaching out to you guys for help. The movement needs repairs as the tension springs are broken, but I don't want to have it repaired until I know what I am dealing with.

It's weights about 20-25 lbs of bronze/brass. It is 11 1/2 inches from wingtip to wingtip wide. It is 26 inches from top phineal to bottom scrolling. Based on its construction, materials, and subject matter, I'm guessing it was made between 1780s and 1850s.

I have found a Moreau clock that seemed to use a similar orb and phineals, and the orb was elevated above the bronzes head, but separated not like this example being connected.

Any help identifying this piece or leads that stick out to you, that I may be overlooking, would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1151.JPG IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1156.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1160.JPG

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is by far one of the coolest clocks I have ever seen.

Upvote 0

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net from Northern Virginia, that is a very cool clock:icon_thumleft:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

research guy

Apr 8, 2019
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the compliments on the clock and welcoming! I love the clock, it's by far the coolest piece of artwork in my house, and I have a lot of cool and fun things. I just can't identify the darn thing for the life of me. It's been taunting me and challenging me for years. I'm really good at identifying antiques and such, but this one has me stumped. Someone, somewhere may see it and know exactly who what and where this clock came from or created it. Until then, it will sit on my wall...... staring at me! Hahaha!

Upvote 0

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you Googled "butt-ugly clock"?

Seriously though, it's a cool clock but it's not my taste. I'll poke around later to see if I can find anything close to it.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure it will get an I'd that's is so cool

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tent hope to see more posts thanks for posting that cool piece. Tommy

Upvote 0

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say it was made for the American market as the regulator is marked s and f for slow or fast. If made for the European. market it would be A and R for advance and ******. The pinned plates would probably put its manufacture before 1900. The manufacturer is anyone's guess. Just my 2 cents worth. I can't understand why it would not let the ret-ard be printed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I've used the following search parameters with no luck. Cherub, Angel, Winged Goddess, Winged Victory, Winged Woman, putting Bronze, Brass, Victorian, Vintage, Fench, Art Deco, Art Nouveau wall clock with no luck.

Seen so many clocks now, I'm dreaming of them.

I for one think the clock is cool and I actually like it. Hope you can get an ID for it, and I look forward to learning more about it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions