(New to this) Any good places on Sanibel Island to look for coins, etc?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
there is treasue on sanibel island ----there were real pirates who used the island often as well as "the made up one" that sold so many pulp books to the tourist over the years. Ivan

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Best place to treasure hunt there is the toll booth-they hit you $6.00 each way!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is a true story: In 1974 Robert Marlis was metal detecting on Sanibel Is. near the beach at the southern end when he got a big hit. He asked his buddies to help dig but they said they were busy somewhere else. Bob dug down 2 feet and uncovered a wooden seamans chest. It was filled with 200 gold coins and 380 silver coins! He didn't split it with his buddies. Bob sold the coins and used the money to open a restaurant on 4th street in St. Petersburg. Bob told me the story and showed me some of the coins he kept. This was not pirate treasure but he thinks it washed ashore from a shipwreck.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was on sanibel island a couple of years ago with my family. My son and I were detectin Bowman's beach. My kid was using my white's classic ID. About 4 or 5 inches down, he found this ring. I gave him 50 bucks for it. 8)

Attachments

• Bowman\'s Beach.JPG
    Bowman\'s Beach.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 710

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread