High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off tried to down load picts, but idon't think i need to yet
What is the big deal on stared bills?
I have a 2.00 stared 1953 A.
Is a silver certificate have more value if it has a good poker number? i don't get the poker thing never played it. except when i ask the wife did you take the five from my wallet/
the bill is a 1957 B U 33309900 A . I would say in great shape, or don't you use silver for this game? may be it's not a good number.
just dense i guess.
Thanks Arid.

iceman0xh

Dec 22, 2009
The big deal with star bills is that they were made because during the minting process other sheets or lots of bills were damaged and destroyed...to keep production at the point they want they recreate a group with a star at the end...so each year has alot of bills made but a limited number of star bills.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arid-Zone-A-seeker said:
bumped for Digging the Past,,,

Ah, thanks for bumping it. I have to run out but I'll check it out and reply later today, hopefully I can be of some help, now I can find the thread. :thumbsup:

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll take the questions one by one.

-“What is the big deal on stared bills?”
Iceman got it with this one. During the course of printing currency some sheets will invariable get damaged (ink smudges, folds, tears etc). These damaged sheets are not suitable to be placed into circulation but all serial numbers must be accounted for and placed into circulation. The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (B.E.P.) will reprint the damaged sheets with a “star” in the serial number. As you can imagine the relative amount of star notes is very small compared to the overall print run, so a premium is applied to them.

Further, error notes that happen to slip by the inspectors at the B.E.P. (those ink smudges, folds, tears etc) will carry an even greater premium.

-“I have a 2.00 stared 1953 A.”
As with any collectable rarity and condition are key. Your statement of having a 1953-A $2 star note is akin to saying “I have 2007 V-8 Ford, what is it worth?”. There simply isn't enough information to assign an accurate value. That being said, the value for that note would probably be between $10 and $30 depending on condition. If it has been graded by a recognized third party grading service the value can go up substantially if it is a very high grade and depending on how many the service has graded. Here is a link to a note similar to yours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-UNC-Series...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53df241e23

-”Is a silver certificate have more value if it has a good poker number?”
For a bill to be a “good poker number” it has to have a fancy or interesting serial number to begin with. There are a lot of currency collectors that pay a premium for a bill with an interesting serial number therefore the bill would absolutely be worth a premium. The premium will be dependent on condition, how interesting the number is and those that are viewing the bill.

-”the bill is a 1957 B U 33309900 A . I would say in great shape, or don't you use silver for this game?”
I would not use any older collectable note due to the fact that it will have value over face before factoring in the serial number. Why risk loosing that bill due a game?

-”may be it's not a good number.”
The number isn't bad. It would be a Full House, 3's over 9's, but any bill with 4 of a kind or greater would beat it. There are just too many bills printed that would better you note in “poker”.

-”just dense i guess.”
Nope, just new and asking questions before making a mistake which is the intelligent thing to do. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps. :occasion14:
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread