zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I live in southern Indiana and have thought about getting into this hobby for a few years now. I will be retiring in a couple years so this would give me another hobby besides my 1937 Ford Pickup Hot Rod. I'm looking for recommendations on what would be a good detector to buy. Rather than stating out with a cheap beginners detector and after 6 months or so have to step up and get a better unit I'd rather get the better unit from the get go. Thank for any help.

Ogre1190

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2015
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac, MineLab Safari, MineLab Explorer XS,
White's 5000 D, White's 6DB, White's 5000 D GEB
Sunray X-1 for the ML's, Garrett PP for the White's and a Backhoe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from North Central Illinois. 🙋

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! :occasion14:

Depending on your budget, the Minelab Equinox 600 ($650.00), is a very impressive machine. :skullflag:

Phishfindr

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2017
NEW ENGLAND
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Pro Pointer AT Z-Lynk, Lesche digging tools, Pack Mule finds bag by Freeloader.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard from CT! I suggest you read a lot of posts on a lot of machines before you decide. You have entered the Matrix of detecting. Enjoy...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Read posts in the Detector forum and soon you will make a choice. This industry is changing and fast. Good luck and happy retirement. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
zippi

zippi

Mar 28, 2018
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info guys. Yup.....just like do you want a Chevy or a Ford.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Zip,, you can go big or you can go home.
I have 5 top shelf machines. All are in the $1,500. or more range. You don't need to start out there. If I were to add another machine to my arsenal, it would be the Equinox 600. It costs around $650. You're going to have to wait because it is the latest machine to be released by Minelab. I think it will be worth the wait. In the meantime, you can study the machine and it's performance on YouTube.
Welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Welcome!

If you look at the top you'll see:

The Hunt Starts Here.jpg

Check it out.

Also - look at the websites for the "Supporting Vendors" toward the bottom of the Forums page. Many of them have detailed Q&A's and other helpful information for beginners. Check out Kellyco as a good example.

Look around for a local metal detecting club or group.

And you become successful the same way you get to Carnegie Hall - practice!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia, take some time and read the forum, if there is a dealer near you I would stop by to chat. Detectors are like cars and golf clubs, everyone has a favorite, all have ups and downs. I got a AT PRO because I like the idea that it is waterproof and a long long time ago I had a Garrett machine. Hindsight being perfect, I wish I had found this forum so I could have made a more informed decision (I am very satisfied with my AT PRO), I would hate it if I had buyers remorse.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I live in southern Indiana and have thought about getting into this hobby for a few years now. I will be retiring in a couple years so this would give me another hobby besides my 1937 Ford Pickup Hot Rod. I'm looking for recommendations on what would be a good detector to buy. Rather than stating out with a cheap beginners detector and after 6 months or so have to step up and get a better unit I'd rather get the better unit from the get go. Thank for any help.
To start out with the best will save money in the long run. If you get a cheep beginners detector it won't be long before you want to upgrade. Start out with one of the best. White's V3i and it will be a long time before you are looking at something else.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
What ever you do, don't get caught up with having to have the latest and greatest - it get's very expensive.

That wisdom is too late for me, I just ordered a new one to add to the 7 I already have. All but 3 gather dust - but I HAD to have them......

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
:hello: Hello and welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D" Louisiana Flag Emoji.jpg 3rd national emoji.png Bonnie Blue Emoji.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread