NEW TO THIS SITE (FROM BOLIVAR, OHIO)

deepbeep

Jun 11, 2009
Bolivar, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Hi everybody,
Wow, this is a very cool site! I started metal detecting back in about 1988. I moved and restored a log house to a woods along side the "Great Trail" in the Minerva Ohio area. There is an old story about "the lost french gold" burried along the trail in that area. (That is another long story for another time).

Anyway, I decided to get a detector and check my property. I sent away for a Garrette GTA1000 which was "state of the art" in those days, just below a Whites. About 20 minutes out of the box with my first set of batteries, I found the rusted remains of an old black powder pistol. OMG......I was hooked!

I metal detected every weekend in many different areas of Ohio, but mostly N.E. for about 6 or 7 years. I have hundreds of silver coins I have found, lots of rings, pocket knives.....you know, the "old stuff" we all have that is of no value, but really, really cool and can't be thrown away....lol

Anyway, life sorta got in the way of metal detecting. I moved, got a new job etc. We bought an 1886 Victorian that was about to be bull dozed and badly in need of restoration. I spent 5 years working on it from top to bottom...and it is now finished!

Last weekend, I was cleaning the garage. Sitting there waiting patiently in the corner was the ol' Garrette. I sorta got the bug again.....so I started searching the web. I found this site, and it has "blown on the embers" just reading about all those finds. The embers are now a bond fire! I just gotta get back into it again!!

I also think I will start looking for a new detector. I have no idea how far the technology has come, but I bet quite a ways! Keep posting everybody, I am reading as fast as I can!

Tim (Bolivar, Ohio)

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Thnet and welcome back to treasure hunting....Matt

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome back Tim. I believe there is a club in your area called Silver Seekers. Someplace near Tuscarawus County anyway. Am originally from Jewett in Harrison County but in Hoosierland now. HH. :hello2:

Ed

kozyman2

May 18, 2009
Mercer County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Welcome

I know what you mean...I first started MDing in 1986 with my 1260x Fisher. I had put every find in 3 coffee cans that sat in my garage for 22 years until 2 months ago when the bug hit me again. I went out and bought a Ace 250 and have been in the field every day for and hour or so since.
I went through some of my older finds and was surprised to find Barber Dimes, buffalo nickles, lots of Mercury dimes, and a ton of wheat pennies, and even a few Indian Head pennies. I was very surprised and had forgot most of what I had found.

Anyway good luck with this great hobby.

Dennis

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread