New turf- C.W. finds

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
Yesterday I finally decided it was time to move on to a new spot. I've been working the same tired piece of ground since I began detecting a year and a half ago. As hard as it is to leave a good spot I decided it was time to walk up the driveway and begin workin' some new turf.

101_2337.jpg

So I crossed the street. The guy who owns this fifty acre piece doesn't live on the property, but says I can hunt it anytime. Only drawback is he says only I can hunt it. I'm gonna give him some of my finds, maybe in time he'll let me bring a friend or two, I've just found a couple of local guys interested in hunting. This place is half woods half pasture, it's got a spring fed creek on one side and a wet weather creek on the other, both creeks cross the road to my place. He's got several huge fields like this one. I was afraid this area would have been hunted out by another local detectorist, but turns out it's full of good finds!

101_2338.jpg

First find was this flat button, There is some modern trash here but not much (found my first pulltab!!).
I was only here for about two hours yesterday afternoon, dug a ton of targets. I can't wait to get back, maybe tomorrow afternoon.

101_2339.jpg

This eagle button was one of my better finds. Found another eagle cuff too, but in bad shape.

101_2337.jpg

Here's the keepers. Found my first brass carbine sling belt tip, a bunch of flat buttons, two Zouave buttons, 2 eagles, harmonica reed, several good bullets, and of course, some whatzits. As always, thanks for lookin' and i.d.in'.

101_2338.jpg

Attachments

• 101E2355.jpg
    101E2355.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 524
  • 101E2351.jpg
    101E2351.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 537
  • 101_2339.jpg
    101_2339.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 550
Upvote 0

collector01

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2008
snow hill, MD
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds looks like you found another good site congrats on your first pulltab :wink:. Hope you pull a buckle your next hunt!

jgas

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2008
Midwesterner
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX, Pro 6000XL, SunRay Probe, Centech Pinpointer
Nice digs...WTG....That is a lot of ground to cover by yourself...Hopefully the owner will see the light and grant you more people...At minimum it would be more safe...Goodluck...jgas

sndman60

Jan 31, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300
You're the lucky one. A site just for you and a great site it is from the finds you share. Really love the Union Infantry Eagle button. Pretty sure you'll be finding silver also. Great finds, thanks for sharing.

fortbball9

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTAx 550
Very nice CW finds,looks like it might be a little easier to put your other spot on the back burner.Looks like this spot is very promising.Keep the dirt flying and the pics coming.CONGRATS :thumbsup:

fortbball9

Hutch911

May 19, 2008
Linden, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX5000, Whites MXT, Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Way to go Chopper ! love the Batwing carbine sling tip and the buttons. Just take your time and just cover a little at a time and you will have one heck of a selection.

Hutch

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't worry about leaving the old spot chopper.....You'll be back ;D ::)Man that new site started off with a bang,gonna be just as good as that "ole worn out site" :wink: All the Luck in the world to ya,never tire of seeing it.Congrat's!!!!

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW :o Chopper!!!! Great group of CW relics. :thumbsup: Awesome start for sure. That eagle button is a beauty.
You lucky dog. That place is going to turn up some great finds for you I'm sure.
-MM-
P.S. Was your daughter strapped to you this time? ;D :wink:

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
Heck, you took pictures of all that old civil war stuff and didn't even include a picture of your first pulltab, why I'd be embarrased. ;D Seriously, I'm totally jealous, nice finds and congrats on your finds and those to come.

OP
OP
chopper

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
I appreciate everyone's comments. Not many around that are into this hobby, it's great to get feedback from folks that appreciate the finds and share my enthusiasm. Just about everyone one of you have found items that make me jealous, want to shut down the computer and hit the dirt; daylight or not. I'd love to find a "coppa", some silver, a cartridge box plate, a US belt buckle, a sword belt plate, breast plate, 14 3-ringers in the same hole.....and the list goes on. So thanks for the kind words, encouragement and motivation. :thumbsup:

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on that new piece of property! I would be checking near the springfed creek first then fan out from there. The troops and horses needed watering, so there would likely have been alot of activity near the water source. Once again great job, I am sure you will get many more quality pieces out of that spot!

Steve

*Dig-Dug*

Aug 13, 2008
Herndon, VA - Kill Devil Hills, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Bandito II
If you found all that so shallow I'd bet your on a virgin site. Those buckles you dream of are likely to be found there. DIG EVERYTHING!!!!! Don't forget the woods and under the brambles. I would be happy to pay for permission to hunt there with you! Good Luck and keep the pics coming.

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Chopper,cool finds!! I saw your post this morning and one of your whatzits, I believe is hardware from a dresser drawer. I have a matching piece,just need the handle that goes in between ;D, ...you sure you don't live by me ? ;D

Attachments

• drawer piece.JPG
    drawer piece.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 196
  • drawer piece2.JPG
    drawer piece2.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 198
OP
OP
chopper

chopper

Aug 6, 2007
La Grange, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites
johnreb1980 said:
Nce finds Chopper,that bat wing belt tip is nice.
Thanks man! I had no idea what it was when I found it but knew I'd seen it before.

Goldiver said:
Nice going on that new piece of property! I would be checking near the springfed creek first then fan out from there. The troops and horses needed watering, so there would likely have been alot of activity near the water source. Once again great job, I am sure you will get many more quality pieces out of that spot!

Steve

Thanks, that's a good thought. There seems to be a little more modern trash by the creek but I'll dig it all in time.
OBX Slumlord said:
If you found all that so shallow I'd bet your on a virgin site. Those buckles you dream of are likely to be found there. DIG EVERYTHING!!!!! Don't forget the woods and under the brambles. I would be happy to pay for permission to hunt there with you! Good Luck and keep the pics coming.

God, I hope you're right. It's just human I guess to not be satisfied and always want bigger and better. I've found some nice stuff but that buckle would be the icing on the cake! I will definitely cover the woods, privet, etc. That's all there was on my place and and the thickets covered plenty of goods. Thanks again!

Ohio Jerry said:
Chopper,cool finds!! I saw your post this morning and one of your whatzits, I believe is hardware from a dresser drawer. I have a matching piece,just need the handle that goes in between ;D, ...you sure you don't live by me ? ;D

Your piece looks virtually identical to mine, Ohio and Tennessee aren't that far apart, right? If I find that handle I'll walk it over to ya. ::)

curbdiggercarl57 said:
Great hunt, great day, great finds!

Thanks curbdiggercarl...It was a pretty exciting day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread