New twist to coin hunting

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Today I decided to stop by one of my banks to dump some halves. It was a branch I had not dumped at for a long time because the machine they have always seemed to jam and it would take forever. Plus the teller who ran them would often be very cranky. Anyway, I noticed a few weeks ago when there for "legitimate purposes" the new vault teller is a person I know from one of my banks where I ordered halves. She is very nice and never complained about ordering boxes for me, etc. So I thought I would see if she had any better luck running the machine and I decided to take in a bag of halves.

The machine bag filled up real quick and soon later the machine jammed. I could see it was not gonna be a good situation so I told her to bag up my coins that were left (almost all of them) and I would take them to another branch tomorrow since her machine was just working right. She was thankful I offered to do that and I thought it would be a good time to ask her if I could buy the bag of halves she has just removed (since they were not my dumps very much). She of course said they cannot sell the bags, because the machine fills them with all other denominations of coins and it would be too hard to figure out the total. She said that the bag had not been changed on the machine since she had been working there, for a few months at least, so I thought it might have some goodies in it.

I asked her if under her supervision I could search through the full bag for a few minutes and she could replace what I removed with my own halves that didn't go thru the machine. SHE SAID NO PROBLEM. It was really hard to see inside the bag past the first 1/3 of it or so because the coins were still in the canvas, skinny bag and I could not dump them out. I was basically searching by sound, I would grab a handful and sort of drop them in the top of the bag and listen. If I heard the "clink" I would look thru that pile. Adding to the difficulty I was leaning over the counter having to stretch to reach them, while customers where coming in doing their business next to me.

One of the other tellers said to my nice teller "what is he doing?". Nice teller said, "I am letting him look thru the bag to see if there are any he wants". Other teller did not look too happy about that for some reason, but she didn't say anything else.

Anyway, I was only able to do this for a couple of minutes and I found 1-64 Kennedy and
4-40%ers. When I looked into the bag I saw a bunch of marked coins so someone had been dumping in there. I wish I could have dumped the bag into a big tub to look thru but that wasn't gonna happen. It was still fun going thru it though and for the few seconds after she said "no problem" to me looking my heart started pounding with excitement.

5 Keepers is better than most boxes I have had lately.

Jim

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Jim, quite odd to hear about one of us using a bank for "legitimate purposes", ha-ha!

Good finds there, it's worth it.

ffd

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Here is a twist you won't like. A bank I go to just got in a new coin counting machine. It removes Silver coins, foreign coins and any type of slug. It is a really sturdy looking machine too. Not like the one at my credit union that is always broken and gets jammed if you try to put in half dollars.
Looks like the end of buying and searching bags once this takes hold. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
Hi Ho Silver! said:
Here is a twist you won't like. A bank I go to just got in a new coin counting machine. It removes Silver coins, foreign coins and any type of slug. It is a really sturdy looking machine too. Not like the one at my credit union that is always broken and gets jammed if you try to put in half dollars.
Looks like the end of buying and searching bags once this takes hold. :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Sounds nice. You don't even have to search rolls, just feed them through. Takes the fun out of CRHing though.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Sounds nice. You don't even have to search rolls, just feed them through. Takes the fun out of CRHing though.
[/quote]

That is not my point. It means it will no longer be a source for YOU TO FIND silver by buying the bag in the machine.

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Hi Ho Silver! said:

That would be a game changer as far as searching bags. I am not too worried about that though. New machines are expensive and for the most part, the places I go have decent machines that won't be replaced for a long time.

I have heard from more than one teller that when their current machine breaks, they are not gonna replace it. They said that the bank was getting tired of spending a few hundred every time a repairman is sent to fix them and that they cost too much to maintain. I know of a couple of banks that had their machines break and they were never replaced.

What is the brand name of the new machine you mention that rejects silver? I am curious. One of my banks has a self serve machine that spits out silver dimes, but it takes silver halves (90% and 40%), because when I buy the bag there it always has a few keepers.

Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
jim4silver said:
What is the brand name of the new machine you mention that rejects silver? I am curious. One of my banks has a self serve machine that spits out silver dimes, but it takes silver halves (90% and 40%), because when I buy the bag there it always has a few keepers.

Jim

I think they call them, Brinks. :laughing7: ::)

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Diver_Down said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Oh no. Not this again. ;D

Jim

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009
Hi Ho Silver! said:

That is not my point. It means it will no longer be a source for YOU TO FIND silver by buying the bag in the machine.
[/quote]

I know, I was just saying.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Diver_Down said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Funny, but I WILL find out the name of the coin eater!

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
jim4silver said:
Diver_Down said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Oh no. Not this again. ;D

Jim

I figured you would get a kick out of that one, Jim.

skelly9131

Jan 12, 2010
I seem to hear a lot about these coin counting machines at banks that fill bags, but I've never actually seen one. I've only seen the Coin Star type machines in bank lobbies in my neck of the woods. Can anyone describe what these machines look like, how big, etc...? Or better yet, anyone have pictures?

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
skelly9131 said:
I seem to hear a lot about these coin counting machines at banks that fill bags, but I've never actually seen one. I've only seen the Coin Star type machines in bank lobbies in my neck of the woods. Can anyone describe what these machines look like, how big, etc...? Or better yet, anyone have pictures?

That is just the opposite here. I have never seen a Coinstar brand machine anywhere except for grocery stores. The machines the banks have differ. Some are older, smaller models and some are larger, more modern. Some banks have the machines in the back and you cannot see them. Some banks have self serve machines.

The bags that hold the coins are inside the bottom of the machines that I have seen. The teller has to unlock the machine to open it to get to the bags to change them, etc. I have seen one type of self serve machine that has metal boxes that fill up with the coins instead of bags. Some of the older, smaller machines have a big "cup" that holds the halves--usually only hold $100 at a time. When dumping at such banks the teller has to keep emptying the cup into a big plastic bag each time it fills.

Sorry don't have any pictures.

Jim

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
skelly9131 said:
Okay, so I just found this page:

http://www.bankersx.com/catalog/catalog.cfm?ItemGroup=coin counters&dimensiondept=ip

Are these machines similar to what you guys are seeing?

The one I'm talking about is a little larger than a washer machine. It fills $1000.00 plastic bags It has a screen that you just select what you want to do. It then prints out a receipt and you take it to the teller and get paid. I put $200.00 in half dollars in it. The receipt printed $200 and $178. The $178 is for non customers!!!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to inform you that really isn't a new twist to coin hunting, I started searching bags like that a few years ago (maybe 3 or so) and posted about the concept a number of times back then.

Usually they dump the bag on the counter and let me pick and choose which ones I want to trade. Occasionally they would just hold up stacks and I could edge search without getting my hands dirty.

Warning: I only do it when the bank is dead and they won't sell me the bag anyway. Don't try it when the bank is busy, you are likely to be shut out or potentially ruin it for later.

I did have one time when they said I could buy the bag, but then after I had filled it, they said I couldn't. They let me do what you were doing, reaching in, checking, and exchanging for a couple minutes. Really wish I could have bought that bag as I found a few Franklins and a few 40% in like 5-6 handfuls...

OP
OP
J

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
GMan00001 said:
Sorry to inform you that really isn't a new twist to coin hunting, I started searching bags like that a few years ago (maybe 3 or so) and posted about the concept a number of times back then.

I meant it was a new way for ME. I am sure that every way of CRHing has been done by somebody somewhere in the world before. I was not trying to claim a new discovery.

Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread