New UNTOUCHED 1800s Site Gives Up Great Surface Find!!!

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New UNTOUCHED 1800's Site Gives Up Great Surface Find!!!

This week, the weather hasn't been all that great. We are getting thunderstorms in my area, luckily, they are passing on, and the weather is supposed to be great next week! It cleared up for a few hours today and my dad offered to take me to a site that I had found in research a month ago. We drove their, got out of the Jeep, and started to explore the place. The site is an old foundation that hasn't been touched since it was abandoned. As soon as I walked up to the foundation, I spotted a big piece of iron. I new their had to be some writing on it. I was right! What it says is; "Draft Door 1897". It is amazing that I found a piece of history just lying on top of the ground, just imagine whats under the ground! We explored a little more and I found an insulator still attached to the phone poll, some OLD chains, and some broken glass. We were about to leave when a man approached us and asked what I was holding. The man is relatives to the past owners. He seemed interested and gave me a history of the property. He told me what I was holding belonged to his grandmother and grandfather. We asked about metal detecting their, and he had no problem with it. He told me, "If you find something that is exceptionally valuable, maybe we can share it." He is a nice man and I'm thankful he is letting me metal detect their. The place is covered in poison ivy and has a lot of mosquitoes, but next time I go, I'll be prepared.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Recovering Relics

Recovering Relics

Jan 12, 2010
New England
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garret Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New UNTOUCHED 1800's Site Gives Up Great Surface Find!!!

Nice job on finding some old things.

You will normally want to get permission to metal detect before you are standing on someone's property with a detector in your hand.

Best Wishes,

Buckleboy

Newt

Bronze Member
Dec 10, 2007
Georgia
Detector(s) used
1265X and Tejon

That looks like an old washing machine top.
Newt

rvosburg

Apr 27, 2010
Lakeland La.
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 coil, 6X10 DD Eclipse

Looks like part of an old wood stove to me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread