New used Quattro

Luke 12

Dec 7, 2014
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro on its way. Just getting started.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, so I ended up getting a used Quattro for Christmas and have been out to two parks with it. I started in relic mode and was picking up "jumpy" signals everywhere. I dug a few of them, found junk in a couple and couldn't find anything in the others. Then I switched to coin and jewelry mode and got a solid 40 come in, repeated from multiple directions that ended up being a rusty nail.
Tonight I was cleaning up the detector and noticed it had a coil cover on it, so I popped that off. I cleaned up the coil and it looks like it has lived with the cover on the whole time.
Long story short, any suggestions on what I should be doing? I am committed to digging the trash and spending time to learn the machine and this new hobby.
Thanks!

Longhair

May 26, 2012
Backside Of Nowhere In Mid-Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher 1280X,
MineLab Xterra 705,
MineLab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow way down to start with. Then listen to the tonal quality of the hits. Clean, clear, repeatable signals are what you're looking for.

And remember, it's about what the machine tells you, not what you can get it to say.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the depth on signals too. The deeper the target, the weaker the sound and sketchier the I.D. If you get in an area where you're getting lots of false signals after you've ground balanced, turn down the sensitivity a little bit at a time until it's stable.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Luke 12,

I clean the coil cover after a few hunts, unless in a muddy environment and then after each outing. What I have found with the Minelab Explorer SE is you must keep the coil low (I scrap the ground when possible) and move it very slow. The key is to learn the tones and listen to the machine. I have found many excellent items using this method. Also, I usually hunt with an open screen, and check with the discrimination screen. Lastly, keep the sensitivity at a level for your area, sometimes if high the detector will be a little chatty.

Regards,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread