New User in Jacksonville Area

Woodturner

Greenie
Jan 1, 2008
Virginia
I am giving my young granddaughter a metal detector for her birthday. She and I are new users. In fact after reading all about metal detecting and detectors I have bought myself one also. In March I will be going to Jacksonville for her Spring break and would like to help her learn to use her Tesoro Silver uMax. From what I have read there are no restrictions about using metal detectors in the many parks of the city at least according to the published rules.

I would also like to take her to the beach. The beach we usually use (Talbot Island) apparently will not allow metal detectors. Can you all suggest some other places around the Jacksonville area we can search? How about some of the springs toward the center of the state?

mtbiker

Aug 24, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & White's PI
Hello! I have family in Jax, and usually bring my detector with me. Ft. Clinch allows metal detectors from the pier to the opposite direction of the fort. Obviously, you can't detect around the fort. Fernandina Beach is good too. If you want lots of clad, perhaps Jax
Beach? Did you try Little Talbot? You should be able to, but stay away from the dunes. Ft. DeSoto in St. Petersburg is another great location, as is Clearwater Beach! Good luck!!! HH!!!!

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
I love Fernandina Beach! I've found loads of shark fossil teeth there. The neighborhood is good about keeping trash off the beach too. I haven't been there in over three years so things may have changed (with keeping the beach clean). If you decide to go there visit the Ft. it is very interesting.

GLH,
Pepper

OP
OP
W

Woodturner

Greenie
Jan 1, 2008
Virginia
Thanks Pepper and Mtbiker. When I wrote to the address of Big Talbot the question was sent to the State Park so I assumed (not a good thing) it would apply for both. I think once I am down there I might call the Park and specifically ask about the area between the water and dunes.

I will be down for a week at the end of March and look forward to trying the areas you mentioned. Thanks so much.

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alot thebeachesthere hold good stuff, i have found silver bracelet and silver toe ring, amongst the usual clad, after storms the beaches may give uo some good stuff too...gregg

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well the northern half of little talbot island and the southern tip of amelia island and all nassau sound are no go areas for metal detecting -- no metal detcting --no removing objects "aquatic preserve zone"--- however along the beaches of american beach --and main beach and other beach areas of fernandina can be profitible

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Profitable?....you mean clad and jewelry?.....I suppose it could be. However, i'm not necessarily looking for modern stuff, it's the spanish stuff im looking for;). Been spending alittle time in the library.....but they really dont have anything that I would think I would need to start any research. Sooo.....my quest continues to seek out and try to research old stories, folk tales, and and wives tales. I'm now trying to find as much info on Amelia Island as I can get. Alot of history there....a ton. There's so much, you dont know what's true and what's not.....WHERE TO START???.. :tard:

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
where to start...

Try Green cove springs and st johns county..In these ares, two spanish forts were located...Be it, small but they were more like sentry towers at the narrowest part of the st johns after the buckman bridge..Also, check St Augustine..It is where the most spnish were exploring.!!

Larry

Hole Diggers

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter-Quick Silver
Ahhh but the most important thing I learned in this forum......yes you can hunt for relics and such but anything over 50 yrs belongs to the state :(

Hole Diggers

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
The state of Florida's OWN laws will promote pirating and looting. Let's think about it for one second. What is it that Florida wants from all this? They want the knowledge of our heritage and a better understanding of our past, which I completely agree with. However, when you tell some who has invested a lot of time, research, risk, money, health, etc. into locating our past (which they don't to the degree TH'ers do) that they can't keep what they find, it's a little hard to swallow. Instead, I believe they should have something of a recognition find in where as they recognize they person(s) who found the artifacts. Require that if you find something of historical value, you can keep it but you must register it with the state of Florida. They get their knowledge of the past and you get to keep what you find. This would promote quite of bit of finds and maybe even promote those who have found already, to come forward with possibly some very serious historical finds. EVERYBODY WINS!! Until then, finders keepers. Otherwise, it'll rot in the ground....

Sapper23

Aug 22, 2007
FL
Detector(s) used
Explor II, seamk
JvH. has a point. but doing the right thing, most of the time will " back fire". By know means,
I'm saying to go looting or pirating. but if you start finding great items between low and high tide marks.
Say nothing!!!. just keep a log of your finds, and if you have a gps mark them. and have fun detecting.

Good Luck,
Sapper

PMike

Jul 8, 2008
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300 Whites Surf Pro PI
Metal Detecting is allowed on Little Talbot from the high tide mark into the water and south of the northernmost boardwalk.

Mike

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes on the"lower southern end" beach of talbot detecting is allowed (mostly because basically theres very little to nothing there)--- its ok to "detect" there last time I was there fromthe northern most beach walkover southward to the southern tip (high water mark to waterline only "beach" hunting ---so stay out of / off of the dunes --its ok for modern "beach" dropping and fishing weights ) ---but all the "really good old treasure type stuff" is on the northern part ofthe island / nassau sound area --- while a few items might be found at the southern most end area where some ships transited long ago from salt to fresh water and back while going to fort st george there few and far between --- but nassau sound is the "place" for shipwrecks.--over 24 britishlumber trade vessels sank between 1810 to 1816 alone off of amelia island --that one every 3 months for 6 years straight . plus theres more than that --off our area is where the treasure fleets made their "turn" when headed homeward --catching the eastward currents to go back to spain ---damaged vessels attacked by raiders and storm tossed vessels very well may have cracked up off our shores ( and by my thinking several did over the years )--- Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions