New Vaquero

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
Just bought a Vaquero to replace my Ace 250. Haven't had the chance to try it but I'm really looking forward to it. A guy from my club was getting these deep silver coins in a park I used to hunt with the Ace. He uses an AT Pro but I'm not sold on Garretts recovery so I chose the Vaquero. I hope I can get in some of that deep stuff now too.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Just bought a Vaquero to replace my Ace 250. Haven't had the chance to try it but I'm really looking forward to it. A guy from my club was getting these deep silver coins in a park I used to hunt with the Ace. He uses an AT Pro but I'm not sold on Garretts recovery so I chose the Vaquero. I hope I can get in some of that deep stuff now too.

My only advice is get a good shovel, depth in the right dirt can be unreal.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take the time to read all the post you can on the Vaq. This is a very different detector from an Ace and there will be a learning curve. One tone and no display will take some getting used to. You need to learn what a good clean coin tone sounds like and what trash sounds like with raspy or broken edge on the tone. Check all targets from two directions 90 degrees apart. Dig it all at first to learn to associate tone differences with the items you find. Don't get frustrated, stick with it and learn it. You will be better off learning to hunt by tone instead of staring at display. Even if you have a display, tone comes first.

OP
OP
kw509

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
I am a tone hunter, even with the Ace, I wanted to get away from the screen. I started with a Garrett groundhog & then a White's 6000/d. I am very excited about the way this machine has the volume for depth difference. I love the way it gets quiet the deeper a target is. Can't wait to really use it.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Practice making good use of the disc setting along with the sounds and you'll be surprised after a while at how often you'll be right one deciding if a target is trash or a likely keeper.
luvsdux

razerback408

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take the time to read all the post you can on the Vaq. This is a very different detector from an Ace and there will be a learning curve. One tone and no display will take some getting used to. You need to learn what a good clean coin tone sounds like and what trash sounds like with raspy or broken edge on the tone. Check all targets from two directions 90 degrees apart. Dig it all at first to learn to associate tone differences with the items you find. Don't get frustrated, stick with it and learn it. You will be better off learning to hunt by tone instead of staring at display. Even if you have a display, tone comes first.
i agree ps good headphones and 10x12 dd coil

razerback408

Dec 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a tone hunter, even with the Ace, I wanted to get away from the screen. I started with a Garrett groundhog & then a White's 6000/d. I am very excited about the way this machine has the volume for depth difference. I love the way it gets quiet the deeper a target is. Can't wait to really use it.
if you have not seen this it will help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread