New Video & A Botched Recovery!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
New Video & A Botched Recovery!

I went out this Saturday for two and a half hours for two major reasons, to shoot some video and because of all the rain we recently had. The day started off really good with a silver quarter appearing early in the game. Also managed a silver dime towards the last thirty minutes of the hunt. It wasn’t until I started editing and cutting up the video for Youtube that I realized the possible mistakes I made along the way. One of those, the obvious one, I have pointed out in the video. The second, I didn’t realize until much later. I’ll call it an Easter egg. I spoke to Joe G on this one and asked him……….should I save myself the embarrassment and cut that stuff out of the video? Joe said leave it! A lesson learned in the past has now been reinforced. I was a little distracted with the camera on this occasion. Enjoy guys….

[youtube=425,350]GRf-KvXNuuE[/youtube]​

Upvote 0

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Re: New Video & A Botched Recovery!

Great stuff and Video,Rick.You never fail on the silver and I know you will get that Quarter another day.Tom

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good video, shame you never found it. Could you not find the hole again, whats the story?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Ricardo,

Looks like you covered up another quarter. :o Wow!!! I can't believe you caught that on video. As soon as I saw that, I would have been right back to that area and looked for my plug. Great vid, and congrats on your silver.

I noticed that your tone of your quarter didn't sound as high as I'm used to hearing for silver coinage. That quarter sounded like an early wheat or IH for my machine....I think the Variability/Limits or threshold tone may be the settings which changes the range of the highest highs and the lowest lows. My variability/limits are both at 10, and my threshold tone is at the default of 5. I'm curious what yours are set to.

Great digs!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Captn_SE said:
Ricardo,

Looks like you covered up another quarter. :o Wow!!! I can't believe you caught that on video. As soon as I saw that, I would have been right back to that area and looked for my plug. Great vid, and congrats on your silver.

I noticed that your tone of your quarter didn't sound as high as I'm used to hearing for silver coinage. That quarter sounded like an early wheat or IH for my machine....I think the Variability/Limits or threshold tone may be the settings which changes the range of the highest highs and the lowest lows. My variability/limits are both at 10, and my threshold tone is at the default of 5. I'm curious what yours are set to.

Great digs!!!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
My var/limits are set to Default Dan, and that is 7 or 8 if I remember correctly on the var.. I know that with those settings at max, one can hear the difference between a silver and non silver dime, as Joe G here showed Tom, but I've gotten used to the machine in simpler settings. I don't really want to get into the habit of cherry picking between clad dimes/quarters and silver ones. I'm afraid that habit will cause me to miss things. The only settings I have changed are the gain, usually at 7 or 8, and I do turn deep or fast on/off depending on trash. Manual sens all the time between 19 and 21. Those are the only things I touch.

Ricardo

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

CRUSADER said:
Good video, shame you never found it. Could you not find the hole again, whats the story?

Went back the next day after I caught what happened and had 15 minutes before the sun went down to find the plug. I found what I thought may have been the plug, but didn't find anything. I need to go back again with more time.

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+

That was a great video! I saw the second silver coin in the hole right before the text came up on the screen asking the question, lol. Shouldn't be too hard to recover that second coin since you're familiar with the area. Great job!

Ray

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great video Ricardo, congrats on the 2 silver.
If you do get back and recover what sure looks like another quarter, don't forget to scan the hole before you fill it up again ;D
HH
Glenn

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ricardo, very nice video & silver!
For a minute there, I thought you were going to "catch-and-release" that quarter when you set it on your machine ::)

Take care,
watercolor

Lee43

Oct 29, 2006
East central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75

Ricardo, another enjoyable video, Congrats on the silver and thanks for video........................Lee

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

oooh man... that made me want to scream...goback goooobackkkk... :'(

goldenapples

Aug 23, 2007
So.California
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Sunray X-1 Probe Sunray Gold Phones

Another great video, I really like some of the angles you get when filming for yourself I think I may be incorperating some of them into my vids ;)

hope you find the old plug and find out whats in the hole, Two ways to look at it, its a piece of trash which is why the Quarter sounded a little lower than Silver or it was a 1932 s key date worth hundreads :o

But it sure looked like a Silver coin.

1960texan

Dec 6, 2007
Texas

Ricardo,

Thanks for the video! It's great when we can learn from each other. Do you ever use your Ace 250 anymore?

1960Texan

coinhunter53

Jul 13, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer E-Trac, Shadow X 5, Fisher 1266X.

I hope after you found your mistake you went back and retrieved the coin from the old hole. Always recheck you holes before leaving. I like your vidoes. HH...Jesse.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Ricardo_NY1 said:
My var/limits are set to Default Dan, and that is 7 or 8 if I remember correctly on the var.. I know that with those settings at max, one can hear the difference between a silver and non silver dime, as Joe G here showed Tom, but I've gotten used to the machine in simpler settings. I don't really want to get into the habit of cherry picking between clad dimes/quarters and silver ones. I'm afraid that habit will cause me to miss things. The only settings I have changed are the gain, usually at 7 or 8, and I do turn deep or fast on/off depending on trash. Manual sens all the time between 19 and 21. Those are the only things I touch.

Ricardo
Ricardo, I noticed you said your not changing some settings because you are used to the machine in simpler settings. That could be the difference from 100 silver coin year to a 200+ silver coin year. Your settings might be missing older silver/on edge silver or maybe "hidden" silver. We sometimes get in a "comfort zone" and not try different settings. I know you are new the the Explorer and just getting used to it, but you might just want to play around a little on certain days to get out of your comfort zone and find another zone that could end up with Seated instead of Mercs. BTW, super video and a nice almost three silver day!! One more thing, I try different settings and rarely cherry pic because I've found Seated coins that hit like a zinc cent as shallow as 1 inch. I never pass up any quarter and some heavy Mens rings hit in the penny/dime range too!! Just a couple cents worth from me.

Minnie

Dec 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250

Nice video thanks for putting it up here. As for the Easter egg would it be yet another coin at 3:46 into the video? Looks to me like it could be a penny, or just a clod of dirt that sorta falls into the picture.

~~Minnie

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Jack(IN) said:
Ricardo_NY1 said:

Ricardo
Ricardo, I noticed you said your not changing some settings because you are used to the machine in simpler settings. That could be the difference from 100 silver coin year to a 200+ silver coin year. Your settings might be missing older silver/on edge silver or maybe "hidden" silver. We sometimes get in a "comfort zone" and not try different settings. I know you are new the the Explorer and just getting used to it, but you might just want to play around a little on certain days to get out of your comfort zone and find another zone that could end up with Seated instead of Mercs. BTW, super video and a nice almost three silver day!! One more thing, I try different settings and rarely cherry pic because I've found Seated coins that hit like a zinc cent as shallow as 1 inch. I never pass up any quarter and some heavy Mens rings hit in the penny/dime range too!! Just a couple cents worth from me.

I totally agree with what you are saying Jack. So far, the only settings I have changed are the ones mentioned. Very recently, I've been tampering with the Deep and Fast settings. I really want to get to know the machine in different stages, and I am experimenting as I go along. What I do not want to get into is trying so many different things in such a short period of time, that I never get good at or learn the machine in any which one or way. I've had the machine for approximately almost four months and still do not feel a comfort zone. I feel that I am still learning to understand it. I know there is more down the road. I think my next step will be experimenting with the Iron Mask setting, which I also keep at default. I'm just taking it in steps as I feel comfortable.

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac

You provide the coolest video 8) ... Nice wilvers :P ...

HH Bertman

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Minnie said:
Nice video thanks for putting it up here. As for the Easter egg would it be yet another coin at 3:46 into the video? Looks to me like it could be a penny, or just a clod of dirt that sorta falls into the picture.

~~Minnie
I saw the same thing...not the other silver but a very "round" clump of soil.Great video Ricardo and congrat's on the Silver.

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OH MAN!!!! I paused the video and that was most definitely another silver in there. Now I know why you called me :) I know exactly how you felt! This past spring I was hunting in an area where I found a LC and some colonial buttons. After crawling on my hands and knees through thorns and brush I hit another "clearing". A couple of swings and Bingo! I heard a nice deep tone that I knew was another coin. I reached for my digger and it was gone. I dropped it somewhere. 45 minutes later and I still couldn't find it. Went back to the around the same area the next weekend with Crocop and found my digger! Sure enough, as we were getting ready to leave I hit that same good tone. Dug down and plucked out a LC :) Go figure...

That puppy is still waiting for you! I wish I could go with you and Tom next Saturday, but it looks like I'll have to work. Put the vid back on the camera, play it while you're there and try to match up the trees at the site. I'm sure, between the both of you, you'll be able to find it.

Great vid (as usual) :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions