New virgin site pt2..

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was able to return to my latest site on Sat. and I didn't do nearly as good as I hoped I would but I was pleased none the less.
I hit it pretty hard, beginning at around 8am and slinging dirt until around 4pm or so with barely a pause to snack or rehydrate. The weather was beautiful and the targets were plentiful and thus it was a good day in my book!

Any input on the numbered items in pic #3 would be greatly appreciated as I'm naturally trying to learn as much as I can about the great things I unearth:icon_thumleft:

My misc./scrap pile..
lot1.jpg

Surface finds:
eyespy.jpg

The items that peaked my interest and curiosity the most:
int.jpg

Thanks for looking as always and HH,

Chris

Upvote 3

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little brown bottle.... I have one almost exactly the same size and color...any ideas what it is? Nice finds too! I have been there swinging so long I forget to rehydrate or eat. If my Girlfriend isn't with me I won't stop haha! This hobby is more addicting than meth!

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Looks like a gold ring in your surface finds-- is that a grommet? Finding buttons is always interesting to me.

My guesses: #1 looks like a snap clasp closure part; #2, 4, 5 all look like belt buckles, though #4 might be for a woman's belt or purse or shoe; #3 looks like a key or watch fob.

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, those are some nice finds. My kinda finds...you did very well!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn!...Thats some really cool stuff...Looks like to bring a sifter too!

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That little brown bottle.... I have one almost exactly the same size and color...any ideas what it is? Nice finds too! I have been there swinging so long I forget to rehydrate or eat. If my Girlfriend isn't with me I won't stop haha! This hobby is more addicting than meth!

I know the feeling man, I've had to bring the misses on some recent hunts as well..out of fear she might leave me if not included! LOL... But seriously I would love to do it with her more she's just not that interested:dontknow:

The brown bottle I found says "mercurochrome 2%" on it. If you're not familiar it is a topical antiseptic that was used to treat cuts and scrapes and was at some point outlawed in the U.S due to it's Mercury content. Not sure if the bottle you found held the same substance though or if it was just a popular type bottle for medical use.

HH,
Chris

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a gold ring in your surface finds-- is that a grommet? Finding buttons is always interesting to me.

My guesses: #1 looks like a snap clasp closure part; #2, 4, 5 all look like belt buckles, though #4 might be for a woman's belt or purse or shoe; #3 looks like a key or watch fob.

That indeed is a ring in my surface finds pic. Though unfortunately it's not gold:censored: It has the look and feel of bone but judging by the seam that runs around it I'm guessing that it's a synthetic material.

Thanks for the input on the other items though the horseshoe looking thing I never suspected to be a belt buckle..maybe it is though?

HH,
Chris

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That watch fob is super cool! I would love to find one like that. Looks like a great site!
EDIT:

#3 looks to be a Rough Riders Watch Fob! What an awesome find.
Cowboy Rough Rider Watch Fob WW1 Era | eBay

Outstanding job Talon.. That's exactly the info I am after. Excellent job my good man:thumbsup:

How did you find that so fast?

Many thanks and HH to you,
Chris

OP
OP
B

Birky

Apr 19, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn!...Thats some really cool stuff...Looks like to bring a sifter too!

Thanks Diggin:thumbsup: On my next visit I plan to bring a screen. There is a cellar hole (or so I think?) that is partially filled in around the side of where the house once stood, I'm really considering digging it out to see what I can come up with.

HH,
Chris

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looked like a watch fob, so I searched "Cowboy watch fob" and there were a few similar looking pieces but lo and behold there was the exact one! After seeing a close up I can see the Rough Rider aspect, but I really just got the info from her etsy post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread