Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the hobby, and constantly trying to find new grounds to hunt. I am fortunate to live in an area that, despite the current economy, is still growing (fastest growing county in NC, and in the top 25 or so in the country) My newest way to find sites is using Google Maps to locate land that is being developed. That's easy to spot hear because of the red clay that is so hard to dig in. It shows up very well at an eye elevation of about twenty thousand feet. I then use the historical imagery slider bar to go back to previous years (back as far as 1993) to see what the land looked like before. When I zoom in, often I will find houses or farms that have been torn down. Also, Google Earth has just recently updated their imagery to Apr. of this year. It sure is clear. Sorry I bored you. HH !!! Mean Gene

Upvote 0

E-mag

May 27, 2010
meangene21 said:
I'm new to the hobby, and constantly trying to find new grounds to hunt. I am fortunate to live in an area that, despite the current economy, is still growing (fastest growing county in NC, and in the top 25 or so in the country) My newest way to find sites is using Google Maps to locate land that is being developed. That's easy to spot hear because of the red clay that is so hard to dig in. It shows up very well at an eye elevation of about twenty thousand feet. I then use the historical imagery slider bar to go back to previous years (back as far as 1993) to see what the land looked like before. When I zoom in, often I will find houses or farms that have been torn down. Also, Google Earth has just recently updated their imagery to Apr. of this year. It sure is clear. Sorry I bored you. HH !!! Mean Gene

Where is the historical imagery slider bar? I seem not to have it on my google maps :help:

Sounds like a good idea though

OP
OP
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's in the tool bar on the top of the Google Maps screen. It looks like a clock. Good Luck, HH

E-mag

May 27, 2010
meangene21 said:
It's in the tool bar on the top of the Google Maps screen. It looks like a clock. Good Luck, HH

I see it now that I Downloaded google earth and not the google maps :headbang:

IWillFindTheGold

Nov 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
meangene21 said:

Awesome idea, Gene! Thanks for the tip. I live in a newly developed area (all built in the last 8 years or so) and this is very cool. I'm looking back now at the way things used to be around here. Amazing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread