new Whydah finds

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sorry, Lynn. I had my hopes up, too. Staff at P-town said, "Though Clifford on rare occasions has gifted some of his Whydah coins, he does not sell any artifacts that are recovered."

There are a few slave shackles sold on ebay...just not from shipwrecks.

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Sorry, Lynn. I had my hopes up, too. Staff at P-town said, "Though Clifford on rare occasions has gifted some of his Whydah coins, he does not sell any artifacts that are recovered."

There are a few slave shackles sold on ebay...just not from shipwrecks.

I’d probably have to put up my house as collateral anyway, lol.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those type bracelets are actually pretty common. Now getting one from that particular wreck, that's a different story.

OP
OP
W

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not selling artifacts really pisses off the hard line archeos because it flies in the face of their rhetoric about the evils of treasure hunting. I have no problem tho selling off artifacts when there are thousands of duplicates!

Whydahdiver

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
Can't but help to go out of the old grids a little. How many times do you think that ship rolled and threw things overboard before it finally broked up?

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
OP
OP
W

whydahdiver

Apr 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question Cuzco. I can tell you that stuff is spread over a huge area probably due to the constant surf action and the actual sinking dynamics. Mother nature never ceases to amaze me.

Wydahdiver

cuzcosquirrel

Aug 20, 2008
"Good question Cuzco. I can tell you that stuff is spread over a huge area probably due to the constant surf action and the actual sinking dynamics. Mother nature never ceases to amaze me."

I assumed that if they were found all in one spot they were probably in bags, that have rotted away. I don't think these would have been placed in with the shares the men had placed in the main treasure area on the ship. It was likely that they were kept aside in the things to be later sold, or for general supplies and maintenance of the ship.

From reports, the dynamics of the wreck would have strewn them about, but the general deposition seems to indicate they left the ship at a time prior to the breaking of the hull apart in a single unit, and have not moved. Draw a line across between the two parts of the hull, and choose a point farther over to the mass of the larger part of the hull that was found, or make the center of mass the group of cannons conglomerated together.

Then pinpoint the center of the manila scatter with a point. Now connect the two points with a line, and then extend it out past the point where the manilas were found. This may give you the vector of the storm and search area past your old points to be looked at for deck cannons that ripped free, and things thrown out of the hold during the rolling process.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whydah Diver the archies are using this as an example to show that private enterprise should not excavate historic shipwrecks. They are trying to completely shut down the treasure hunting business in Florida. Look what they did to the Jupiter Wreck project and GME.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread