Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we own a farm with a good sized stream running thru. many bends, small waterfalls and such.

FIL said he remembers a few panning thru this steam and finding 'some gold'. Plus my friend who owns a dairy said she heard her FIL say that they found some gold in their big creek running thru the old cow pasture.

so I know there is gold in NC cause I did definitely check NC.

So when I go to the stream what should I hit? Pick a few of the bigger rocks and dig in the eddy side? How deep do I have to dig? deep or just take surface stuff to start? And those gravel beds that are on the turns, should I just scoop up some or kinda dig a bit down?

just never did it and I know diving in and attempting to find something is the way to go and learn as I go.

I read alot on the panning threads and they are super interesting and you guys throw out a ton of good info for beginners!!

any first time info would be appreciated.

I read a few sites and basically the equip. should be a few good sized buckets, shovel, pick/screwdriver, gloves, waterproof boots, classifier, pan, and luck! :)

boy I hope I find something cause I have been researching those little sluices and I want one....LOL

Upvote 0

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
with me not seeing the creek, id say dig deep to find gold. look for where the water slows down and lets the gold drop out. look for bedrock esspecially!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks, that is what I was thinking from all I read. well, off to try some tests! you never know :laughing9:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There IS gold in NC. Maybe not alot but you will find some if you go to places known to produce gold. Down to bedrock, if you can. When Horace Greely was quoted as saying, "Go west, young man, go west". He was refering to the gold in western NC. Work hard and sample often! You will find it. TTC

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting