New Years Resolution: Diversity

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
New Year's Resolution: Diversity

Thought I might expand a bit this year (no pun intended) from my typically half dollar exclusivity.

Picked up some partially filled coin counter bags over lunch:

$210 in dimes: a 64d..............and a copper (78p) cent
$ 60 in nickels: 39px2, 40p, 41s, 46p, 53dx2, 54d, 56p, 58d & a 59d

Still will work primarily with halves, but will make a point to branch out a bit this year

Upvote 0

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: New Year's Resolution: Diversity

Check the mintmark 1941-S nickel (small S or large S) The larger S is harder to find and I've heard more valuable, but its not listed in the price guide separately so not sure. The small S will be like the S on a 1938 through 1940. The large S will be like the S on a 1946 through 1954.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think diversity is good Thurm. I wish you all the luck in 08. There is no doubt in my mind that you will do quite well. Do you think you will match the 07 box (halves) total??

I, like you, am going to try to do more of the other denominations as well. Personally, I would like to find more war nickels so I will try to do at least 2-3 boxes a month. I know that isn't much but that is way more than I did last year.

My husband is going to get into the cents. He is all pumped up....ha! I am kinda glad he is getting in on the hunt. He wants to put away some Wheat's and pre 82's (copper). I like the Wheat thing but the pre 82's can add up pretty quick from what I have seen in many post here.

I am going to mainly concentrate this year on the halves again....I will also check dimes too. Dimes are fun even though there is a lower yield than halves...still fun though.

Anyway, good luck to you Thurm.....

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE

lejeuene said:
I think diversity is good Thurm. I wish you all the luck in 08. There is no doubt in my mind that you will do quite well. Do you think you will match the 07 box (halves) total??

I, like you, am going to try to do more of the other denominations as well. Personally, I would like to find more war nickels so I will try to do at least 2-3 boxes a month. I know that isn't much but that is way more than I did last year.

My husband is going to get into the cents. He is all pumped up....ha! I am kinda glad he is getting in on the hunt. He wants to put away some Wheat's and pre 82's (copper). I like the Wheat thing but the pre 82's can add up pretty quick from what I have seen in many post here.

I am going to mainly concentrate this year on the halves again....I will also check dimes too. Dimes are fun even though there is a lower yield than halves...still fun though.

Anyway, good luck to you Thurm.....

Hey LJ-

Remember the bank where you pulled all those silver dimes and quarters?
Maybe there are full rolls of wheats sitting in their vault.
Maybe you already checked it out.
Just curious.

OP
OP
thurmownator

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

GMan00001 said:
Check the mintmark 1941-S nickel (small S or large S) The larger S is harder to find and I've heard more valuable, but its not listed in the price guide separately so not sure. The small S will be like the S on a 1938 through 1940. The large S will be like the S on a 1946 through 1954.

Thanks gman, will do.

LJ, thanks for the encouragement. 349 Fed boxes came out to almost seven per week ! And that didn't include all the other (loose or loose rolls of) halves I picked up along the way. It may be tough, but I'll certainly try. Heck, what's life without goals anyway ? 8) Good luck back at you for 2008.

BTW, Tim may have something there. If hubby is into copper this year, you guys should go back to those banks that gave you good silver results in '07. You two could be modern day Bonnie and "Clyde". 8) 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions