Check the Tesoro Tejon or Vaqero out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Vaquero; Minelab X-Terra 305; Fisher F5; Teknetics Gamma 6000

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have be looking at White's

Here is my OPINION on Whites detectors (and I am NOT in the majority). Very good machines but, overpriced and overcomplicated. Good Luck!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why do you limit yourself to only White's when there are others out there that you'd probably like better?

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For $500, new, you are probably looking at a Coinmaster GT. I've got the standard coinmaster and it goes pretty deep. Though the arm cup is not as strong as other machines I've owned. (White's replaced mine for free.) I've had several White's machines, including the highest end machines made in the late '90s, and they are solid machines. With your budget, for a White's, you can get more for your money going used. Just make sure it's not a '70s machine. LOL. If you can up your budget (or find one used) I'd also look at the M6.

I primarily hunt with a Tesoro (Sidewinder) and they are as good as any White's machine I own or have owned. I really like, for most hunts, using my ears and not relying on a display. They have a lifetime warranty and last forever on one 9-V battery. I can pinpoint on a dime and it does almost everything I want in a machine. (No machine does everything.)

Everyone has given good advice. You need to decide what type of hunting you think you want to do. (Or types.) Then look at machines for those type of hunting. Unless you are gold detecting or hunting in saltwater or hunting underwater or a few other specialties, most general purpose machines should serve you well.

Talk to a dealer though. You may have soil or environmental considerations that would point you to or away from certain machines. You might need ground balance. You might need a larger or smaller coil. You might have weight considerations. Dealers are your friend. Use them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread