Newb 3rd Box Halves... Finally Struck Silver!!

gmoney000

Greenie
Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.. I starte looking thoroughly at my
rolls and actually hit a 1976 Bicentenial S Proof!!
I set it aside because I was not sure if it was or not. After my
last roll I looked it up and was very happy and finally given hope that THIS DOES WORK!
It was frustrating seeing all of you guys pull this silver and not me... hah jealousy I'd say :)

Anyway, now that I've gotten over the hump I suggest we start a Newb Skunk Sticky that gives hope to all the people who have yet to strick. I feel it will help people stick with it longer and the support from novice members would mean alot to them.

Also, I am interested in knowing more about name brands of these companies that bring the silver. I'm sure this is discussed and mods feel free to
delete if neccessary. I keep getting the brown and yellow boxes from comerica. Are there other banks you suggest? And what brand do you feel has the most silver in it and what banks might have them?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!!
Happy Hunting!!

Upvote 0

CRHQueen

Jun 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great way to start - a 76S... can't beat that! It took me nearly a hundred boxes and pockets of halves from teller trays before I hit a 76S, in a teller tray of all places!

Keep the silver coming

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats, Any pics? It took me about 50+ boxes to find 1. Pics would be nice, HH, Maverick.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm hopping that my 3rd box will finally get me a silver half. I too would like to know more about the different box services.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job! it took me 150+ half dollar boxes over the span of 3 years and i still haven't found one yet...
what state do you hunt in?
hh
buff

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
You do know that there are both silver and clad 1976 Bicentenial S Proofs right? You can weigh them to tell the difference. Hopefully you found a silver one but if not just keep trying. For everyone one here that is finding boatloads of silver there are boatloads of people going through boxes and not finding anything and not saying anything about it, most don't brag about their skunks until they get a streak going. I just broke one of over 15 boxes last night with a worn out walker and a 69 40% and was sure happy to see them both. Good luck to you.

Your last questions are for you to answer, it is not the boxes that matter but which banks in your area have the best supply. You just have to try a few different ones or stick with one if it works and go from there. Take it slow your not going to find all the silver right away and be as nice as you can be to the teller so that they want to help you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

gmoney000

Greenie
Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i did the tissue test and it worked... does that not apply here?
thanks foe all the great advice!!

921b7a66.jpg

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What exactly is the tissue test? Sorry to seem out of it here but I'm not sure what it is. LoL

Novapax

OP
OP
G

gmoney000

Greenie
Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where you take a single ply and cover one side of the coin with it.. then look at the other... if its white its silver, if not then its not

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey gmoney, how does the edge look on your coin? If its Ag you should be able to tell 99% of the time by looking at the edge. Should look like a 1965-1970 40% halve. That's how I zeroed in on a silver Ike out of a batch of 327 of them.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I have never tried the tissue test myself, someone did explain it a week or so ago with pictures. They had one silver and one clad so you could see the difference in the picture. Maybe try comparing it to a clad to make sure there is a difference under the tissue. If you have a postal scale a clad should weigh 11.34 grams and a silver 40% should weigh 11.5 g. Either way it is still a good find, I save all the proofs that I find, the book I am working on has a slot for proofs of each year and if you keep working at it you will find more. I usually try to pickup a box of nickels or dimes so even if I find nothing in my halfs I still have a chance of not skunking out. Good luck to you.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I have a couple clad, and one silver. All the sides look alike. I think there is some kind of a plate coat on them all. So edge checking doesn't really work. Dropping the coin on a table helps.
Listen to the sound. But seeing as you have no silver coins...jus compare it to a clad. If the sound alike...it's not silver. Silver sounds VERY different from clad. So if it's even close...it's probably clad.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
conleytheking said:
Well I have a couple clad, and one silver. All the sides look alike. I think there is some kind of a plate coat on them all. So edge checking doesn't really work. Dropping the coin on a table helps.
Listen to the sound. But seeing as you have no silver coins...jus compare it to a clad. If the sound alike...it's not silver. Silver sounds VERY different from clad. So if it's even close...it's probably clad.

You have 1% coins. Lol. Ya edge check not foolproof but a good place to start. Plated coins and silver sharpie on the edge can throw you off. Using a scale and ping test, along with year and mint mark all help to zero in on whether Ag or not.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had not found one in 7 months of CRHing, then BAM! 15 turned up in 3 different boxes on the same day. Best way to tell is the sound test IMO.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice i have ? i think 4 silver and for some reason they are a little harder then the others not sure why. Just like the 1971 and 74 look like silver alot of the time. I would sound test and edge check.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I had not found one in 7 months of CRHing, then BAM! 15 turned up in 3 different boxes on the same day. Best way to tell is the sound test IMO.

I'm going to agree with Namster here, I have a glass kitchen table and if you drop a silver on it, it is an unmistakable sound difference from a clad. It will have kinda a hollow tinny sound, totally different than a clad. If I've ever questioned one, I just drop it on the table and can instantly hear the difference. HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
G

gmoney000

Greenie
Jun 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 39oz with 4oz in halves... my 76 S proof has a higher "pitch" sound the. the non silver ones i feel.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I was looking at one that I have that I'm not sure about, it is a 1976-S but the edge is solid silver like a 90% but they only made 40% so I think it is silver plated. I got my collection book out and pulled a few to show you the differences that there are in the 76-S's. I'm not 100% sure if they are what I think they are, the guy's son at a coinshop offered me 9.00 for the one that looks like a 90% before I told him they didn't make them in 90% that year.

76s71512scoins.jpg

Last edited:

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Take that offer! The 40% in that year look like 90%, especially if they have barely circulated. Mine never circulates, and looks like a BU 90% half.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread