Newb needs some guidance from you pros out there.

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II DP; Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a newb in MD'ing and on TNet as well. I purchased a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV after using it for about two months now, I feel pretty comfortable on it. I have detected tot-lots and parks for coins (with good success) and also searched relic sites in the hills around Southern AZ-which is where I reside. I'm pretty sure that this is going to be a hobby that I'll stick with. The feeling I get in my gut when that detector rings up is full of fire. Even if I am diggin' up old nuts and bolts, I still get the thrill over and over again. That is what it's all about for me- oh, and the valuable treasure is a nice bonus too! I can't wait for the day when I start finding the good stuff. I joined the local Gold Diggers Club so that I can hunt on some local claims. Maybe that's where I'll find my first nugget. Then again, maybe not. Who knows? One thing I do know is that my chances will get better with the right equipment.
With that in mind, here is where I need some guidance. My question is regarding my next step forward from where I am now. I have been searching Google Earth and referring to some local historic maps to scout out some old pioneer mining and prospector camps from the late 1800 and early 1900's. I have located some pretty nice sites and I want to go check them out. (Of course, only if I can get legal access and permissions.) My Tracker 4 is a great machine and I am definitely a believer, however, I am also aware that it is not much of a Gold Detector as far as depth and Ground Balancing goes. Here in Southern, AZ the ground is very mineral-rich and some of these sites that I plan on searching are located within obvious mineral deposits. (Prospectors were not dumb when it came to finding where to dig). With this in mind, I have decided that it's time to get another detector to add to the Tracker 4. I want to stay around $500.00 and possibly buy used to get more machine for the money. This is where I need help from the pros. I suppose I just need a good push in the right direction as far as a machine that can do what I need it to. Some units I am considering are the Tesoro Lobo, Fischer Gold Bug II, or the Garret AT Pro. With these machines in mind, am I actually headed the right direction or should I save and buy the Cadillac? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, I am unworthy.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BornOnFire

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
woof! said:
The Fisher GB Pro (just about same as the Tek G2) is my latest gold machine platform, following on the GBII, the Tek T2 and its Fisher F75/F70 descendants, the original 1980's GB, the Lobo ST, the Diablo uMax, the Troy X5, the GMT, and the MXT.
--Dave J.

Dave,
Just curious..... what makes you more privy to the GB PRO as opposed to the GB II? After pulling my hair out and staying up late many evenings just studying forums and reviews about what I should or should not get....whew, I've decided that I am pulling the trigger today or tomorrow. I'm done messing around. I just hopr that I am happy with what I decide on. Sadly, the cheapest places that I have seen these machines that I want to purchase are on friggin' eBay!( and the likes.) Not having too much luck with online dealers as of yet. Sure would rather give my money to those gents who honestly who work for it and deserve it rather than those schmucks who just list cheap prices with ZERO follow up support. But sometimes you just can't blame a guy for being a cheap a$$! Buyer or seller! LOL...

Wish me luck!

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
BornOnFire, if you're only gonna do gold prospecting, and gold prospecting is something you've had in your bones for a long time, the GB2 is a very good machine. Realistically, it's useless for anything other than gold prospecting, and it's gonna take a while for you to learn how to use it to its capability.

The new GBPro/G2 platform is a real "gold machine" platform with a much shorter learning curve and with excellent multipurpose capability, all at a very reasonable price. If you want multipurpose, the GB2 is not what you want. If you don't know whether or not you're gonna spend a lot of time gold prospecting, the shorter learning curve of the GBPro/G2 should also lead you toward that platform and not the GB2.

If you Google "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector Dave Johnson" and spend a couple hours reading the book, you'll know why I am confident in making this recommendation.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
BornOnFire

BornOnFire

Jun 11, 2011
Sahuarita, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
woof! said:
If you Google "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector Dave Johnson" and spend a couple hours reading the book, you'll know why I am confident in making this recommendation.

--Dave J.

Awwww Crimony, more late nights of reading! All joking aside, that was a clear-as-day explanation and is just what a guy like me is looking for here! Thanks for the eloquent and honest answer. Much obliged!

-James

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread