Newbe and confused

bryanleemc

Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OKay... I can buy a barely used Garret 250 for about $190 on Craigslist or a Bounty Hunter Quick Draw 2 Hobby Metal Detector with Free Pinpointer and Carry Bag for about $170 at Wally World...

I'm a beginner... Why not go for the BH with pointer for less money... I'd be going for coins and jewelry mainly.

Or a Tesoro Silver umax Metal detector, like new on CL for $200. I'd rather not spend that much on my first machine though...

[edited] Also, in my area is a used Bounty Hunter Metal Detector for $70.00.....

What do you think?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bryanleemc

bryanleemc

Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy Cow!

44 Views and 0 Replies! lol

Obviously this thread need an answer! :laughing7:

Bevo1986

Feb 18, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
BH Platinum
Discovery 3300
I prefere a numeric read out. I would check out the Fisher F2 (my buddy kills with it and the sniper coil) or the discovery 3300 it has alot more bells and whistles then the other models. How much are you looking to spend is the first question to ask and go from there.,

beebs88

May 5, 2013
Hi, I'm a newby too and very happy with what I got for my investment. May not be the greatest but I'm finding all kinds of random stuff.

Check out hobby lobby. 40% off coupon and free shipping for bounty hunter tracker iv came out to about $65. For the pinpointer I went to harbor freight and bought a hand held metal detector for like $12. It works a lot better after opening case and tuning the sensitivity and replacing the loud annoying beep with a vibrating motor. Total cost for upgrade was $5. I use earbuds for a headset.

OP
OP
bryanleemc

bryanleemc

Mar 31, 2013
Richland, WA
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Gerrett 750
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I would like to keep around $150 but less is very cool... I can always upgrade later and give first machine to my son...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems everyone that buys a Bounty Hunter wants to soon upgrade. BH are fair detectors and many hunters enjoy using them. But you would be happier with one of the entry level major brands. You don't really need a pinpointer to start as a screw driver used as a probe works well for popping coins out of the ground. Later if you enjoy the hobby you can invest in a pinpointer.

I Dig Jesus

Feb 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster DB / Classic ID / M6 Matrix / & now The Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I would recommend getting a whites classic ID, or even a used (new model) coin master, just to many good machines (may be older) I would still use my whites classic id, can swap out coil sizes (if I hadn't upgraded) , loved my M6 matrix (got into a bind and had to sell) personally I would look to minelab or whites, and if you can narrow it down, rent them, and do a test garden, that will Give you all the answers you were looking for. Good Luck!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I would recommend getting a whites classic ID, or even a used (new model) coin master, just to many good machines (may be older) I would still use my whites classic id, can swap out coil sizes (if I hadn't upgraded) , loved my M6 matrix (got into a bind and had to sell) personally I would look to minelab or whites, and if you can narrow it down, rent them, and do a test garden, that will Give you all the answers you were looking for. Good Luck!

I agree as well the major brands out there will also give u the options of upgrades in coils & the different options that they have themselves disc gbalance etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread