Newbe here to gold melting/smelting, have a few ?s

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, Ive been lurking here for a while, but decided to join in on all the fun.

I recently got struck with the gold bug, been doing a littlle prospecting here in the California Motherlode where I live.

But lately here I have been scavenging local yard/garage sales for 14k gold for cheap. Got lucky the past few outings and got some old jewelry really cheap.

Took it all to a local jewelry shop and had her test to see in fact that it was real gold before I proceded to my next step. I then got myself set up with a crucible and graphite mold and borax to melt it down into ten gram bars.

Is there any pointers you guys can give me on melting it all down? Ive removed all the stones, clasps and other non gold junk and have cleaned it really well with boric acid.

Only reason why I am doing this is to support my prospecting and bowfishing hobbies.

Thanks! Jeff

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a reason why you aren't just taking it to a professional smelter/refiner to get it taken care of? I know the idea of smelting gold seems like fun. I've never done it personally but all of the research I've done has told me that it really isn't worth doing at home unless you intend to have an awful lot of it. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue it.

The other thing is that very few buyers are going to trust your home brewed 10g bars without sending them to a smelter anyway. If your goal is long term gold accumulation then smelting your own bars may make more sense (or just leave the gold in its current form). But it sounds like you are looking to smelt these bars and turn them around for a short term profit to support your hobbies. If that is the case, then sending them off to a smelter and just getting immediate cash will be easier than smelting them yourself and then trying to find a buyer willing to take them off of your hands. I also wouldn't rule out just selling them to buyers in their current form. People may even pay a premium for antique gold rings over a home brewed slab of gold. But again, I'm no expert.

I don't want to talk you out of it. In fact, I'm curious to find out what others think as well. I've considered this myself many times but I just couldn't make the numbers add up when you factor in the equipment, risks, and time.

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jeffrm20

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locally there isn't a lot of jewelers that can smelt it locally, nor any I do trust. I really want to do it myself for the fun and to say that I did, while also funding these expensive hobbies. Ive always been a do-it-myselfer forever. Just one more thing I can add to my "I did that" list :)

I just don't want to be careless or reckless. Want to know how to do it right so I don't hurt myself or other while doing so. Hope that shed some light on why I want to.

Jeff

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I send all mine to PG&G in Colorado... they do the refining and give 95% of the value back to you.. Silver is only90%..... but I think that is standard. The problem with self refining (And I have done it), is when/if you decide to sell it. Whoever buys it, will, understandably, want to insure the purity of your product. Since it is self refined, they will check that out..... and they will charge you for it. If you get it done via a reputable refiner, that aspect will be self evident since they will stamp your product with the purity and weight.

OP
OP
jeffrm20

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what I was all worried about, melted nice and easy, had a few air bubbles in the bottom but makes a cool little texture.

Now just got to weigh it up and see what Ive got.

imgp4004s.jpg

imgp4005i.jpg

imgp4006i.jpg

imgp4007z.jpg

imgp4008v.jpg

0121stockpicker

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2012
MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's cool looking and sounds like it was fun. From a pure practical standpoint why not just leave it as you bought it especially if it was already stamped 14K etc.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a blob of gold colored metal to me. Maybe it's 14K, maybe it's not. I'll pass. :cat:

SnipingSilver

Feb 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in no means an expert but being a precious metals investor I know a little on the subject. And in my opinion you just made it harder to sell your gold. If your doing it for fun and experimentation than by all means continue. But if your looking to get the most out of your gold than I would say stop the home smelting.Also with the air pockets and such on that piece there is no way to trust the weight. So you will have a purity and weight issue selling it.

OP
OP
jeffrm20

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a blob of gold colored metal to me. Maybe it's 14K, maybe it's not. I'll pass. :cat:

Taking it to my buddy who has a jewelry shop, he has all the right stuff to melt it down for me and get more of the impurities out.

I dont think I used enough borax first go round. We will see how it turns out

Took it to work at the Post Office today and it weight out at 58.7 grams, I'm ure I'll lose a little bit once I get it all cleaned up!

OP
OP
jeffrm20

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much of that is silver?

Shouldn't be much of any. Since all that was gathered was stamped 14k scrap. Unless any of the scrap I have had silver in it and wasn't truly 14k then it should be pretty clean.

I had it remelted last night in a new crucible with some new borax, gold came out a lot shinier and smooth. :icon_thumleft:

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
14 k is 58.3% gold so rest of your metal is silver and other metals you just melted it you didn't refine it by taking out other metals. Your 58.7 grams is worth $1739.80 melt value selling to a refiner they take anywhere from 2 to 10% for refining. Look up gold buyers in this forum to sell it otherwise you will maybe get 50-80% of melt for it as now you have a clump of metals and no rebuyers would want to chance it.

OP
OP
jeffrm20

jeffrm20

Feb 21, 2013
CA Motherlode
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys.

Even though I only have less than $100 into all the scrap, it is still profit no matter what, just trying to make the best out of what Ive got.

I wish there were some local refiners around me I could physically take it to to seperate the metals. I just don't trust shipping it off and not see what is being done with it.

Heard a lot of horror stories

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Midwest and ara are good never had any problems with them do remember though they use acid to disolve and if your gold marked 14 k was fake or 10k instead you will get less gold on the refining end.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread