Newbee wants to know

B

born2md

I see all of your post and the great things you'all find in plowed fields. I have a question, are these fields where at one time homes or towns were located or just plain plowed fields. The reason I ask is here in Georgia most plowed fields have always been plowed fields. Infact, it is more likely that a home or town takes over a field and not the opposite. I know it may seem like a dumb question but if all that stuffs falling out of farmers pockets, I'm heading to the fields. A plowed field has to be easier to work then going up and down hills and through the woods fighting the underbrush and briers

Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Well there are plenty of plowed fields to work that were once homsteads or even lg communities, Look for glass and pottery on the surface and you are likley at a old homstead I have seen plenty of old homes get torn down and plowed under in my local farming community around here. One of my neatest old pocket knives was found in the corner of a hay field that was once cotton, close to a low water crossing between another field, we dug lots of broke wagon parts and horse tack there also.

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
tyre kicker said:
dodgydave said:
Hi Newbee, UK,s the place to detect ploughed fields, with the farmers permission. You find coins and artefact's going back thousands of years Bronze age, Iron age, Roman and British detectorists favourite finds, medieval gold and silver, my best find has been a Scottish silver hammered coin from a field near Doncaster where I live, I think you guys would have a field day over here (pardon the pun) cos them American made detectors are just brilliant? Dodgydave from Donny.
Dave have you posted any pic's of your coins yet tk.
Not yet newbee I posted a large bullet I was making enquiries about.50 cos I think Americans have a lot of knowledge about gun thingys,another interest of mine,but don,t do any more, I will post some later if I get chance,sooner be out finding them than uploading while weathers still fine.

Trash Digger

Dec 15, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Moonshadow said:
I'm doing the same thing. There is a cotton field near my house and I have NO earthly idea on how to find the owner. They just mowed it flat to the ground and they'll be planting it sometime in April I think.
Anybody know how to locate a land owner of such a field??

Thanks,
Moon

Go to your county's web site and look under the tax department section. Most counties have a GIS based system that allows you to find out who owns any plat of land. If you need help with this, send me a message and I'll try to guide you through the process.

Mike

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in South Texas, we have a lot of fields that use to be town sites. When the railroad came through and bypassed these towns, they just disappeared, and later became farm land and ranches. Also since we were all part of Mexico and just south of San Antonio, there is a lot of history. The draw back is searching a field is like hunting a needle in a hay stack, they are huge, and when the farmer discs, he moves items all across the field, so even if you know exactly where the house was doesn't mean that is where you will find the coins etc.
I would try a few anyway you never know just what might be out there.

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
Hi its Dave again from Doncaster England, I have been a bit preoccupied, my cousin Mike in Michigan went through a triple bypass yesterday after his is angioplast went wrong? So we are all praying for him. Back to detecting my latest find I was quite excited about because I had not found anything roman nearby but this roman brooch was found just 200 yards up my own road in the edge of a local wood. ;D

Attachments

• P1170021 roman brooch local.jpg
    P1170021 roman brooch local.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 568

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
Sorry about the size of the pic must have enlarged through cropping maybe, I edited it best for email, any advice anyone please for next time?

D

doyboy

In my area of PA, if the research is done properly, one can locate old homesteads that once stood on what is now a field. Paco and I are focusing our research on this style of detecting. So far, I have recovered an 1864 2-cent piece, Indian Head pennies, Colonial buttons, and musketballs in fields. Paco, just last month, recovered a 1690 British Farthing from a field.

OP
OP
B

born2md

Dave,
What a GREAT find and I have a ton of questions for you but first I hope your cousin is doing well.
1. How big is this brooch, is this a brooch like a lady would ware??
2. What kind of a machine did you find it with and how deep was it being Roman era??
3. How much would something like that be worth??

Doyboy,
How do you do your research to find where these old structures once stood??

D

doyboy

I usually compare old atlas maps to aerial photos. This will usually do the job.

OP
OP
B

born2md

Doyboy,
I'm kind of slow so please bare with me, I don't understand how those two items only, will tell you that at one time a home or structure once stood there, especially if its a plowed field.Please forgive me for asking these dumb questions, I'm new at this and I'm trying to learn from the pros.

SFHunter

Feb 1, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It has to do with finding old maps or atlas that show homes or buildings, and then compare that with a modern day map, to see if there was any buildings on the earlier map that are no longer there as shown on the newer map. Even old photos can be used, for example, I have some old pictures of my town that were taken up on the hill, and when compared to what is standind today, there are some buildings still standing, but others are no longer there. Using that info, I am searching the grounds, and while there is nothing on top to indicate that a building was there, the metal detector is finding door hinges, buried pipes, etc....

Start looking online for old maps and pictures of your area of interest, or head to your library and talk to them about old maps in reference or even old newspaper (for the photos)...

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well put, SFHunter, I totally agree. I also look for activity. Was there activity in the area that is now an empty or plowed field. Around here if there was an old port where ships could dock, it usually had activity. When I am detecting I look at the ground for signs of an old homestead, brick, pottery, or glass. Don,t forget to ask the property owner if he knows of the history of his property. Often they know. While hunting a new unknown field I test it, by checking in the corners first then making a big X in the middle and on high points followed by any gaps into the nearby forest. If I find anything that says activity I stay if not I leave only to return when I have no where else to go.

Ed D.

donnydave

Greenie
Jan 12, 2007
born2md said:
Dave,
What a GREAT find and I have a ton of questions for you but first I hope your cousin is doing well.
1. How big is this brooch, is this a brooch like a lady would ware??
2. What kind of a machine did you find it with and how deep was it being Roman era??
3. How much would something like that be worth??

Doyboy,
How do you do your research to find where these old structures once stood??
Hi Newbee thanks for that I have never met Mike but I feel for him. The brooch had come up with the plough right on the edge of a wood, thats why its bent. I was using a cscope 1220R, I believe both men and woman wore them to secure clothing, I would think in this condition 10 to 15 pounds about $30. It was about 6inches down. It is about 2 inches long 7/8 inch widest point, should have a pin on the back but dropped off removing it from the soil.

Attachments

• P1170021 roman brooch local best web.jpg
    P1170021 roman brooch local best web.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 451

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Born2md,
I'm a newbie too. I've been metal detecting for about ten months and this is my first post. I've been reading some of the replies and it is going to be different for everyone but if you do your research it will save you wasted time in the field. I usually only go out once or twice a month and I think I've found a nice amount of keepers in my short time MDing. Read everything you can get your hands on and continue to read the posts on this site because this group has some really insightful and helpful people. (PBK amazes me everyday)

With that being said. Here in NJ the farmers during the 1800s would take the sewage/sludge from New York City to fertilize their fields. So if you find the right farms that were doing this they are full of finds from that period and the variety is wonderful. Last time I hit the farms I pulled out a large cent, indian head cent, button, small cross pendant and a Chinese Silver Dollar all from the 1800s (I'm not sure about the silver dollar since I don't read chinese). As everyone else has said make sure you ask permission, fill all your holes even if it is a huge field and never interfere with the actual planted fields. Most of the large farms will rotate fields so their are always un-planted field to search.

Good Luck Hunting and if you put the time into the research you will find the keepers much faster....

OP
OP
B

born2md

Again Dave, Great find I sure thought it would have been worth more.

SF, Born & NJ, Thanks for giving me all the great information..

D

dugupfinds

born2md said:
Again Dave, Great find I sure thought it would have been worth more.

SF, Born & NJ, Thanks for giving me all the great information..

Roman brooches are relatively common. Only worth something if they are a rare type and/or have their pins.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I don't know where you're at born2md, but if its anywhere near a civil war skirmish, there's all the reason you need to detect plowed fields. Especially around the treelines, if there are any. Research battlesites in your area if this is the case.

Another idea that hasn't been bought up yet is a lot of these farmers way back when had produce stands,Could be loads of dropped change along the fringe of the driveway on these old farms. Or took their produce to the farmers market, kinda like a flea market for farmers. We have one here in Eugene that is still going on since the early days of this town.

Good luck!

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I live in rural Georgia too. There are plenty of cotton fields around me. Lots of these fields had old houses, schools, stores, and churches on them in years past. Generally, I walk the field...sometimes without the detector. I look for bits of broken glass and porcelain. I also find arrowheads looking in fields this way. usually the structures were located within 100-200 ft of a road. Walking through acres of land in the center of the field generally doesn't produce anything except indian artifacts.

When I locate an area with broken glass, I get my detector and start swinging in all metal mode. I find the area with the highest concentration of iron, and it usually is the location of the structure. Then with a general idea of the lay of the structure, I begin hunting normally.

randall61

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2004
Guntersville,Alabama
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x2,viper trident
hi born ,I,m in GA ,what part r u In fields can be a great place for c/w relics.
a great website is vanishing GA..a great research tool.big shade trees in fields can be worth a looksee also
good luck & keep diggin.

randall ga

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread