Newbee

topshelf91

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2007
Hi guys
I'm newbee to this and so I'm looking for some direction. You have probably seen this type of post a thousand times but here goes. Looking at buying a new/used detector for my son.
I have been surfing Ebay and there are a ton of them out there. The last one I looked at was a Garrett Ultra 350 w/ crossfire II head. I couldnt find that exact model on the Garrett site so it is probably an older model? Any imput on this one and what it might be worth? He will be doing the normal beach, parks etc etc and will be searching for coins, rings etc.
Any suggestions on brand and type for a newbee?

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Top: A couple of questions! How old is he? & Is this just a phase? If he's fairly responsible, I vote for a Garrett
Ace 250! You can pick them up for a little over $200. Ideal Detector for a Beginner!

HH Joe

OP
OP
T

topshelf91

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2007
Well he is 15. He has been working part time jobs and wants to buy this with his money. Is it a phase? Well he is typical 15 year old, but I know adults who impulse buy and never use stuff so who is to say if he will stick with it or not? I just told him I would look around at prices for him.

FYI: The price on the Garrett is at 75 right now. Looks clean and well taken care of.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
the garret ace 250 would be a better machine by far, and they hold there resale real well, but for the price that 350 would work, a fella around here uses one.

Hillbilly bread

Feb 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
XLT , Coin Master & my nose<><
I got my first MD at a hock shop that was a coin master by whites $175, Then I got XLT by Whites on E-bay for $699. One thing I can tell you don't pay full price look around for a good used one. As it was said it is a phase for some. I hope the best for you & hope to see your sons fines on hear. HBB<><

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start out with, i'd say a garret ace 250. Best machine for the price and easy to use. My 10 year old cousin uses it and has already found a silver cross with chain.

HH
-GC

OP
OP
T

topshelf91

Tenderfoot
Mar 1, 2007
Well got the garrett for under 90 bucks.
I figured if he wants he can resell it in a year or so and get his money back. Some People are paying crazy amounts (150 plus) for old beat to death MD's that possiblt don't even work. :o

OK so whats the basics he needs to get started besides the MD?

Whats the best types of places to have success? I figure public Beach's, parks even at the school near the bleachers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread